Small idea for Barachian

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 12:12

Small idea for Barachian

Hey, since this race is based on... frogs, I think it would be great for it to have poison resistance. BUT I know that maybe barachians would become very powerfull that way.

So why don't you put a mild poison resistance trait, like: they can be poisoned but can't DIE from it. It stops at 1HP. And to compensate this advantage, maybe forbid them to use boots.

It's just a suggestion and I think it would make barachians even more newbie friendly.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 12:22

Re: Small idea for Barachian

Interesting idea. There was a suggestion earlier of having poisonous skin (many real life frogs have toxic secretions). That suggestion didn't make it for reasons unknown to me (perhaps it was thought to be too complicated? Or too close to Naga? I don't know).

However, I'm not sure if "newbie friendly" is a viable goal for this race. Slow moving species are typically not newbie friendly, no matter how many bells and whistles you add (see Naga).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 17:56

Innate rPois is only really relevant in the early game, so the question is do Barachians need an early game buff
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 18:13

Playing off the monstrous frog theme, a tongue attack could be interesting and add versatility.

A couple ideas:

Swallow whole: target within two squares is constructed, and in three turns swallowed whole if it fails to escape as per a throwing net. Player is slowed while this happens and for some time after. Satiation is set to engorged.

Or

Tongue grab: target within two squares is grabbed with the players tongue. Treat as trapped with a throwing net. Player is mesmerized to target until it breaks free.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 20:16

Losing boots to be unable to die to poison would be a nerf, the boot slot is worth more than poison resistance/poison-death-immunity. If you're having trouble with poison maybe describe what's giving you trouble, it shouldn't be one of the worse threats in the dungeon. If it's something like early adders, try raising your offensive skills faster so you can kill them before they land too much poison, if it's something later on like swamp dragon breath clouds, well, avoid the clouds asap :)

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 00:44

tasonir wrote:Losing boots to be unable to die to poison would be a nerf, the boot slot is worth more than poison resistance/poison-death-immunity. If you're having trouble with poison maybe describe what's giving you trouble, it shouldn't be one of the worse threats in the dungeon. If it's something like early adders, try raising your offensive skills faster so you can kill them before they land too much poison, if it's something later on like swamp dragon breath clouds, well, avoid the clouds asap :)

strongly disagree
early adder poison bullshit is incredibly lethal, while boots usually aren't even a thing until midgame. none of the boots egos are super valuable for barachian either: they're bad at stealth, running doesn't let them break even, and flying only gets them over lava. i would happily take intrinsic d:1 rpois over 3 AC in the mid-late-game

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 04:41

People have already bandied about ideas for both a tongue attack and a devour move, but I've heard the devs ultimately decided against making them. I still think they'd be cool to have, though.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 09:08

When suggesting new features you have to keep in mind the laws of Crawl.

1. Conservation of negative energy
The amount of draining in an isolated system is constant. If we gave barachians rN+ as a flavour mutation, then *Drain would appear on another amulet.

2. Conservation of ass
The amount of crappiness in an isolated system is constant. If we made barachians good, we'd have to nerf demigods or something.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, pratamawirya

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 11:06

If you want batrachians to eat things, why not give them a lesser version of hydra form's HP-on-kills thing?

Maybe instead of HP, they could have their hop cooldown reduced for every kill they make ("having gorged yourself, you feel ready to hop again").

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 12:45

Actually it's not about nerfing or buffing barachians, it's about making them more frog-like

The tongue suggestions were cool, but I think overall this race is nice and fun to play, the hopping adds a unique component to it and it's the race I'm playing the most on 0.20

Return to Game Design Discussion