Goldify spellbooks working patch?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 4th February 2017, 15:44

Goldify spellbooks working patch?

According to a comment here, there is interest for patches which goldify spellbooks. I made a (buggy) patch here for normal crawl - the bugs were fixed in hellcrawl. Perhaps that fix be implemented in normal crawl as well?

While we're at it, can we make Vehumet gift artifact spellbooks with one spell, instead of using the "M" screen?

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 9
amaril, Arrhythmia, dracos369, duvessa, Factorialite, nago, VeryAngryFelid, WingedEspeon, yesno

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 4th February 2017, 17:35

Re: Goldify spellbooks working patch?

+1'd

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 06:26

Bump this thread.

Doesnt created a patch (putting all spells in a library). It has been implemented in hellcrawl for some time now, and seems to be working fine. It could be implemented in normal crawl as well: as I linked above, there was already interest in the idea and just the work needed to be done. Well, it is, now.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 2
nago, Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 08:40

This would be a wonderful improvement. There are many reasons why spellbooks shouldn't be inventory items, the most important ones being:
#1. The difficulty in telling which books contain which spells, which to drop, and which overlap, rendering others useless.
#2. The fact that books are strategic items, which essentially means that you can (or should) drop them anywhere and go back to them later, which brings to stashing, boring trips, and ruins the game flow.
#3. If you don't want trips or stashing, you must carry them around and suffer inventory strain.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 21:03

Now what mines will Berserkers drop under the feet of their enemies?
But, honestly, I don't worship Trog very often, and I like the idea of goldifying books.
Maɟaŋ

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 00:29

The only complaints I've heard about goldified books are related to sorting. The spell list can get kind of cumbersome late in the game on characters that train lots of magic skills. I'd like to see it in mainline crawl with options to sort by spell level or spell school, or maybe a search function. Then I can steal those options for hellcrawl without having to do any work myself. Thank you in advance.

E: please do the Vehumet thing too.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 01:27

There's an incomplete PR here from Doesnty, which has some dev comments indicating what else needs to be done. The code also hasn't been vetted in detail as far as I know so there may be further specific problems (just looking at the commit history it needs some rebasing at least). I think this will/would get merged, but it'll need someone to steward it through the rest of the process, which is typically the most detail-oriented and tedious part of this kind of project; I don't think the amount of work left is trivial. Recent drama + the fact that he closed the PR seems to suggest that this person likely won't be Doesnty. It may be a dev (I might be willing to do it myself at some point once I've finished some other projects) but there's been no immediate volunteers that I know of.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
Shtopit

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 15:29

If there's an effort to make a spell library, I would suggest a filter-by-school approach rather than sort-by-school.

Filter: (*) Show All / (A)ir / (C)harms / Con(j)uration / (E)arth / (F)ire / (H)exes / (I)ce / (N)ecromancy / (P)oison / (S)ummoning / (T)ranslocation / Trans(m)utation
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks: 2
Doesnt, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Game Design Discussion