More +HP items?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 02:56

More +HP items?

Off the top of my head I believe that the Amulet of Vitality is the only item I've seen that gives +HP when equipped ..... is that an attribute that can spawn on any randarts?

To solve my "I hate Tengu"* dilemma, was thinking it would be cool for +HP to be available via more items. Maybe on these new fancy scarves for example?

What is the reason there are staves that give +MP, rings that give +MP, but very few items that give +HP?

(*I actually do like tengu, up until the moment they splat, which for me is every time.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 05:47

Re: More +HP items?

Every randart item used to have a chance of having +HP property and the property was removed as being too powerful I believe. I would remove +MP property too.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 06:03

I'm familiar with the the design philosophy that some species should be easier than others .... I guess tengu and deep elves might become OP if they wore a collection of +HP slot items that brought them up to, or exceeded, average (human?) HP.

And without question a vine stalker decked out in +HP gear would probably steamroll the game.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 18:06

OTOH, one of the joys of the game is discovering stuff that fills in weaknesses you have right now but perhaps not always. I don't see why HP should be excluded. One would have to find such items and balance their effectiveness vs current situational needs -- HP should be just one more complication.

There are lots of ways to steamroll the game if you get lucky drops -- the more the merrier.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 00:27

How many points of HP would a property need to give, to be balanced with the Regen+ property? I would guess, about +9 HP; vitality's +15 HP may be too much for a common find.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 01:28

dolemite99 wrote:And without question a vine stalker decked out in +HP gear would probably steamroll the game.

You can test this for yourself, just cast statue form.

For the overall thread topic, it's just that +hp items are rather strong, and it'd be a significant buff. They did exist for a brief period, but got taken out for balance.

Return to Game Design Discussion