Limit the amout of cared consumables

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 30th January 2017, 00:02

Limit the amout of cared consumables

Since the removal of weight and item destruction the game became much more simpler because of increasing the amount of panic buttons.

When something is removed, it should be compensated with other new features, and the amount of cared items and their availability are not balanced anymore. There are some my solutions for this.

1. I think it would be wise to allow to stack only two scrolls and three potions in inventory slot. It would arguable, if the player could use, for example, two slots for potion of curing and carry six of them at the same time, so I ask for your opinion.
2. If the spawn-rate of consumables would be drastically decreased, it would also solve the problem. But I don't like this psychologically.
3. Remove potions and scrolls.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 30th January 2017, 00:10

Re: Limit the amout of cared consumables

Option 2 is significantly better than option 1. It's pretty rare to have to use more than two of the same potion/scroll in one encounter, and afterwards you'd just go back to your stash and get more. You'd also spend a lot more time doing inventory management (tavern buzzword bingo: tedious, optimal, boring).

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Quazifuji, VeryAngryFelid

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 21:31

Re: Limit the amout of cared consumables

Consumables are fine as they are. Inventory management would skyrocket with any of the proposals other than just reducing the spawn rate, but that would severely alter the game play which is already being altered too much as it is.

One of the beauties of Crawl is that it allows many different playstyles. Recent proposals and removals are limiting and narrowing the game.

Return to Game Design Discussion