Re-enable Pakellas

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 09:50

Re-enable Pakellas

With the recent changes to the game as a whole (namely the removal of Heal Wounds and the removal of rods), Pakellas isn't empowering an already powerful play style so much as offering an alternative way to approach the game, which is in line with some of the other deities of Dungeon Crawl and is welcomed as far as I can tell.

We would gladly play test this and work with the development team in further tweaking Pakellas. I believe he'd be welcomed to the pantheons again, I've seen some changes in the commit that were suggested and would love to see him return to trunk. :).
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks: 5
Cimanyd, jwoodward48ss, Steel Neuron, Vajrapani, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 10:27

Re: Re-enable Pakellas

Make Device Surge work on wands only?
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks: 2
jwoodward48ss, MainiacJoe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 14:33

The MP stuff was a big problem, especially the potions.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 15:40

Drop no-mp restoration, make charging wands cost piety, effectiveness on both recharging and surge should depend on Evocation/Invocation skill.

Alternatively, drop recharging and make Pakellas sometimes recharge your wand slightly when you kill something with that wand.

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 15:41

Also, instead of Device Surge Pakellas worshippers get passive wand power boost, depending on piety.

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 20:06

counterproposal: don't re-enable pakellas

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Lasty, nago, papilio

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 26th January 2017, 01:15

Pakellas was the most fucking boring god I've ever seen, even before the removal of rods. I don't like the idea of reviving him.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks:
Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 26th January 2017, 02:01

Elitist wrote:With the recent changes to the game as a whole (namely the removal of Heal Wounds and the removal of rods), Pakellas isn't empowering an already powerful play style so much as offering an alternative way to approach the game, which is in line with some of the other deities of Dungeon Crawl and is welcomed as far as I can tell.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're misunderstanding the main issues Pakellas had. The biggest complaints I remember weren't that he was empowering an already powerful playstyle, they were that the mana system encouraged recharging wands after every fight (which was tedious but could probably be solved) and that using wands as your primary means of fighting wasn't that different from using conjurations (which I think it still true - there are more wands that have their own effect instead of being a duplicate of a spell, but I think the fundamental playstyle of blasting things with a variety of damaging ranged effects is pretty similar).

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 11:45

Quazifuji wrote:
Elitist wrote:With the recent changes to the game as a whole (namely the removal of Heal Wounds and the removal of rods), Pakellas isn't empowering an already powerful play style so much as offering an alternative way to approach the game, which is in line with some of the other deities of Dungeon Crawl and is welcomed as far as I can tell.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're misunderstanding the main issues Pakellas had. The biggest complaints I remember weren't that he was empowering an already powerful playstyle, they were that the mana system encouraged recharging wands after every fight (which was tedious but could probably be solved) and that using wands as your primary means of fighting wasn't that different from using conjurations (which I think it still true - there are more wands that have their own effect instead of being a duplicate of a spell, but I think the fundamental playstyle of blasting things with a variety of damaging ranged effects is pretty similar).

Which begs the question - why have wands now when all of them intrude on the design space of damage spells?
Remove them, I say!
make food great again

For this message the author pedritolo has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 30th January 2017, 01:02

pedritolo wrote:Which begs the question - why have wands now when all of them intrude on the design space of damage spells?

The key difference between wands and conjurations is that wands use charges, a strategic resource, while spells use mana, a tactical one. This mean you can build your character around casting spells every fight, but you can't build your character around using wands every fight. The upside of wands is that they take a smaller experience investment and aren't dependent on your armor or intelligence stats.

Pakellas enables you to use wands every fight as one of your primary offensive tools, removing the main difference between wands and conjurations. In other word, the supposedly unique playstyle he enables is basically just a conjurer with heavy armor.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 3
bel, jwoodward48ss, MainiacJoe

Barkeep

Post Monday, 30th January 2017, 03:14

And if you want a conjurer (and summoner) in heavy armour, there's already nemelex.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 30th January 2017, 17:56

Yeah i liked Pak for the free rods, but design space wise Nem is just more interesting.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Return to Game Design Discussion