Adjust enslavement/paralysis/recharging rarity

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 13:21

Adjust enslavement/paralysis/recharging rarity

most experienced players will agree that early and midgame are the most challenging part

with removal of the yellow wands and rods, recharging scrolls are now super common and nothing you hoard for later game anymore. before it made sense in some cases to not waste them liberally at least.

they can be used to basically have unlimited paralysis/enslavement too early in the game. shops with those wands also seem more common to me than before because the evocations pool has been decreased a lot over the last 2 versions

since theyre pretty good already with low investment (like 6 evo or something, and even usable without investment) and every character can use them, they play a big part in the effectiveness of streamlined character builds and evocations is again too strong! but this time only mid-game, or early if lucky/AR background

this hurts the importance of backgrounds and gods

thx for reading

yes im serious

alternatives would be removing enslavement and/or paralysis wand as theyre damn strong anyway, or increasing the evocations skill required to make them effective

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 14:07

Re: Adjust enslavement/paralysis/recharging rarity

Octopode-monk-of-XOM wrote:increasing the evocations skill required to make them effective

What you are suggesting is that wand power should scale better with evocations, but they should have lower power at low evocations.

This commit made wand power scale better with evocations, however it was a strict buff.

I think an argument could be made for a strict buff since the top-tier wands were removed (they didn't depend on evo anyway, except tele on another monster I suppose) and rods were converted into wands. I don't really have an opinion about the "correct" power level, perhaps it could use a nerf.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 14:48

Re: Adjust enslavement/paralysis/recharging rarity

yea ok, thx for structuring it, im a bit messy head

the title should clarify my first idea was to give paralysis/enslavement a higher rarity because i have one of those or confusion wand almost every game before lair, and will recharge them without any noticable drawback.

its probably desirable to keep the amount of recharging scrolls for the other wands, so yes directly adressing the minimum evocations skill required to make hex wands effective seems like the best solution.

Return to Game Design Discussion