Allow Octopode to wear cloaks

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 09:30

Allow Octopode to wear cloaks

Octopodes are an interesting race that came into conception by the same inspired design Troll and Draconian (a restriction with armour slots in exchange for neato abilities). Octopode's lack of slots is alarmingly close to Felid, with hats being the only thing they can keep (along with weapons). If Octopodes are a challenge race in the same vein of Mummy, then please ignore this request. If they're meant to be a race that gains a lot of power once they survive long enough to meet their expected goal(s), allowing them another body slot would be a step towards increasing their interaction with floor generation, acquirement scrolls, and armour shops, which would provide more variety and interesting equipment decisions on an (admittedly) decision-lite race.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks: 3
jwoodward48ss, NhorianScum, Styro

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 09:43

Re: Allow Octopode to wear cloaks

Elitist wrote:If they're meant to be a race that gains a lot of power once they survive long enough

Every species is already like that iirc

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 13:20

ONIchinchin wrote:
Elitist wrote:If they're meant to be a race that gains a lot of power once they survive long enough

Every species is already like that iirc

More than a Human is the rough gauge I use. Getting eight of the best randart rings in the game is competitive with a full set of unrand gear sometimes. If anything, protection rings are neat in bulk. Getting the AC bonus on a Naga and having constrict is another I reference. Black Draconian's wings are a third.

On the flip side, I believe Mummy gets progressively worse up until someone does extended with one, but that means playing extended.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 15:46

Totaly for capetopodes.

I do feel like Mu scales decently in the midgame though provided you focus only the core skills and take Ru/Gozag/Ash/Mak feels about on-par with Hu. Comparing other races to the obscene power spike that is Ds/Na midgame is a tad unfair.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 16:18

NhorianScum wrote:Totaly for capetopodes.

I do feel like Mu scales decently in the midgame though provided you focus only the core skills and take Ru/Gozag/Ash/Mak feels about on-par with Hu. Comparing other races to the obscene power spike that is Ds/Na midgame is a tad unfair.

Yeah, you're right, it's an unfair comparsion. However, I still think the biggest spike in power is midgame for almost every PC (which prompted me to reference it) and I feel like a fair few races miss out on it intentionally. I get it if they're a challenge race, but I don't think Octopode is.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 19:53

Op already has more slots than any other species in the game. Giving it another aux armour slot just increases its late-game power further while doing basically nothing for its early-game power - most characters don't find cloaks at all in the first few dungeon levels, let alone enchanted ones.
If you really want to buff Op's early game (which is weird imo because they already have some of the best melee damage), give them a better hp apt or higher innate AC.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 22:22

Elitist wrote: If Octopodes are a challenge race in the same vein of Mummy, then please ignore this request.

I was under the impression that octopodes are, indeed, considered a challenge race. Not on the level of mummy, but maybe on the level of felid or formicid.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 24th January 2017, 16:58

duvessa wrote:Op already has more slots than any other species in the game. Giving it another aux armour slot just increases its late-game power further while doing basically nothing for its early-game power - most characters don't find cloaks at all in the first few dungeon levels, let alone enchanted ones.
If you really want to buff Op's early game (which is weird imo because they already have some of the best melee damage), give them a better hp apt or higher innate AC.

Cloak is on average the first aux armor I find since there is a wonderfully common early vault containing one of crawls true hero's... and a guaranteed cloak.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 24th January 2017, 20:03

Don't forget Robin's helmet.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Return to Game Design Discussion