Orc:1 level generation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 12:07

Orc:1 level generation

Forgive me for not knowing the technical term for this sort of layout, but I would like to suggest that Orc:1 no longer be split into multiple areas with their own down stairs (a la Slime) or, failing that, greatly reducing the chance of this layout being generated.

This layout type worked fine when Orc had multiple levels, but it seems like every game I've played recently has required me to enter the branch end and find stairs back up if I want to explore the first level fully. Honestly not a problem in 99% of cases, but given that there are many more open (therefore, potentially dangerous) layouts for the branch end than in days of yore, it gives Orc a really weird dynamic of "vestibule of non-threats>ACTUAL CHALLENGE>cleanup Orc:1 for loot/shops (if you can be bothered)".

Likewise, for the very rare character (in my case, anyway) that has to attempt Orc before Lair, it marginally raises the difficulty/risk for a character which is presumably already struggling somewhat by requiring them to, at the very least, dip into a branch-end without any meaningful opportunity to strengthen themselves beforehand.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 12:17

Re: Orc:1 level generation

SmilinJack wrote:Honestly not a problem in 99% of cases
[...]
Likewise, for the very rare character (in my case, anyway) that has to attempt Orc before Lair,

You can use a teleport scroll in those very rare cases and hopefully land in some other partition. Or dig.

I don't really see what the issue is, except that it's a bit unpleasant. What did you expect from a band of bloodthirsty monsters anyway :P

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 13:53

Re: Orc:1 level generation

bel wrote:
SmilinJack wrote:What did you expect from a band of bloodthirsty monsters anyway :P

The Orcs or the Devs? But I think that the multi-room Mines are surpassed now, unless they become a special level with an unusual (but fixed) number of stairs, so that you can have some 4-5 rooms per level.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Game Design Discussion