Barachians' ability & characteristic idea

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2017, 08:14

Barachians' ability & characteristic idea

When I was browsing Korean community, I saw people complaining about Barachians' boresome play style.
They think it's just minor version of High Elves with worse aptitude and controlled blink.

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=rlike&no=91505&page=1&exception_mode=recommend
According to his opinion who managed to get all runes and escaped,
they have stat of ghouls, aptitude of humans, slow as naga, and this makes Barachians really sick and 'fun-proof' species.
Also he and other guys says, "The answer is always Chei and Statue Form", thanks to his worst stat and slow 1 mutations.

So I planned some new characteristic for Barachians make them more 'froggy' and fun.

Already existing ability and characteristic of Barachians :

1. Hop - Minor copy of controlled blink. Get better range when level 13. Has a long cool-time.
2. Slow 1 - Good synergy with Chei :)
3. Water friendly - same as Merfolks.

New ability and characteristic what I planned :

1. Cold blooded
same as Draconians. Become slow when take ice-damage without cold resistance.
Frogs are cold blooded animal, and why not frog-guys?

2. Poison skin
They have same skin color with poison arrow frog! I get this idea from lovely Barachians tile you made.
Anyway, The opponent has a chance of being poisoned when using an attack, that requires physical contact.
If Barachians get body mutations like horns or teeth, they can poison enemy using their appendage.
PS : This doesn't mean they have a poison resistance.

3. Frog tongue
Minor version of Lesser beckoning.
Barachians can pull single target in a line of sight with their tongue. Maximum range is 4, and get better range to 5 at level 13.
Has a chance of miss, dodge. But you can still pull enemy who blocked it thanks to their adhesive property of tongue.
When you accidentally miss the target, you might pull other enemy nearby the original target, might cause serious problem in certain situation.
Better pray to dice god when you use your tongue. You can easily kill annoying entrophy weaver, but you might pull scary executioner instead.

4. Frog cry
t-t(shout) and uncontrolled shout (occur by scream mutation) is bit louder than other species.

5. Frail 1
As a simple penalty. Frogs are quite fragile in real life, right?

Adjusted aptitude :

Poison magic 0 → +1
(They are naturally venomous)

Stealth +1 → +2
(Most Frogs can camouflage when they needed)

Unarmed Combat 0 → -2
(Slow feet means slow steps, make them quite bad brawler)
(And most of Koreans are always play them as Chei-Statue, which is one of the easy combination for Barachians)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th January 2017, 08:21

Re: Barachians' ability & characteristic idea

Morrneyo wrote:2. Poison skin
They have same skin color with poison arrow frog! I get this idea from lovely Barachians tile you made.
Anyway, The opponent has a chance of being poisoned when using an attack, that requires physical contact.
If Barachians get body mutations like horns or teeth, they can poison enemy using their appendage.

I knew this would happen

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2017, 09:10

CanOfWorms wrote:

I knew this would happen

Yeah. As thematic as it is, I'd rather not make Fr any more similar to Naga than it already is. Perhaps 1 turn paralysis in melee combat sometimes, dependent on level?
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
Morrneyo

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2017, 10:24

CanOfWorms wrote:

I knew this would happen

Any Problem?

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2017, 10:30

Elitist wrote:
CanOfWorms wrote:

I knew this would happen

Yeah. As thematic as it is, I'd rather not make Fr any more similar to Naga than it already is. Perhaps 1 turn paralysis in melee combat sometimes, dependent on level?

I like the paralysis idea. But didn't the developers say they would not make paralysis poison in the game? I have no idea why do they think like that.

Return to Game Design Discussion