Combine !HW and !mut

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 00:02

Combine !HW and !mut

So i find that heal wounds is pretty overpowered, and mutations are pretty much never worth the risk.

By combining the two into a single potion, mutations become more attractive (by exchanging immediate reward for long term risk) and heal wounds gets a needed nerf

I would personally probably decrease the rarity significantly, and increase the heal amount (perhaps have it give you like 30% of your max hps back, so that it better scales, and still presents some attraction at high level) making it a rare, valuable-but-risky item. But i think just straight up combining the two without making any other changes would be good too.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
yesno

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 01:07

Re: Combine !HW and !mut

How about no.

For this message the author Speleothing has received thanks: 7
dracos369, Elf lover, Leszczynek, nago, ONIchinchin, Rast, Seven Deadly Sins

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 03:53

i like it

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 04:18

Speleothing wrote:How about no.

Any reasoning behind that, or just preference?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 08:15

If !HW really need a nerf (which I don't think they do unless they are much more common in trunk than in stable), then I'd rather just have them give contamination. The amount should be such that quaffing one would still be safe. But more than one (or combined with other contam sources) and you would risk glowing.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 08:30

I don't think HW is overpoowered. It's availability is limited, especially now that HW wand is gone, and it is very unlikely to outheal any damage you take anyway.

If anything, this just shows further that mutations in general need a complete overhaul.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks: 3
nago, Sar, tv1990

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 14:42

So, I've seen a number of posts recently proposing to combine 2 consumables that have nothing to do with each other which, from my point of view, would only serve to make item management more awkward. If there are people that actually want this, why not make a god that randomly pairs one consumable with another as a gift?

To this specific proposal, HW potions aren't so great that they need a nerf. Sure, in the early game they're powerful, but the healing doesn't scale into the late game. In a crisis situation, you're usually better off with something that can allow you to GTFO than a healing boost that could easily be outpaced by the damage you'd take by spending the turn to drink it. If they need to be changed at all, it would be to have them heal a % of max hp (either instead of or in addition to a flat amount), in my opinion.

Potions of mutation can be worth the risk, depending on circumstances. An octopode of Jiyva is an extreme example, but an early game character with a potion of cure mutation on hand can potentially get some significant bonuses without the cost of inventory slots that can last a long time before malmutate becomes a concern. This strategy is especially appealing for characters who are planning to worship Zin or have some other access to mutation resistance.

Return to Game Design Discussion