Make QDA more interesting

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 17:17

Make QDA more interesting

Right now QDA is just a "heavier robe of MR" that cannot be enchanted due to flavor that is just uninteresting considering Quicksilver spawns in the same place Shadow and Golden Dragons do. Aside from when its found laying around on the floor, which is the equivalent of finding a randart scale mail with MR its almost never a good choice to use one.

My idea was that QDA becomes a zero AC, no GDR, spell immunity armor that wards against malmutate, eye paralysis, sheep sleep and other obscure effects.
edit: it also prevents the user from any sort of polymorphism.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
yesno

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 17:20

Re: Make QDA more interesting

If this doesn't happen, I would at least like to see this as an unrandart.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 17:28

While I agree with your premises - QDA is a good choice only temporarily if found early on, or in game where ?EA are extremely scarce - I wonder why do you think your proposal would improve that standing: a +0 AC armour is worse than the starting armor of any char, and no one should ever ever wear it.

I do agree that this could fit as a fixedart with some rework, I think it would be good as a QDA with all those properties.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
dracos369, duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 17:38

nago wrote: no one should ever ever wear it.

I'd probably wear it in slime, tbh
make food great again

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 20:29

How about making it have wimpy AC instead of no AC? Like giving it 3 or 4 base AC and it never gets anymore. You could also increase the ER to 2 or 3 to compensate.

Another idea is to give it 6 AC so that you can't use Ozocubu's armour
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 21:53

dynast wrote:My idea was that QDA becomes a zero AC, no GDR, spell immunity armor that wards against malmutate, eye paralysis, sheep sleep and other obscure effects.
edit: it also prevents the user from any sort of polymorphism.

I think this would be a cool idea (whether a rework of QDA or a randart), but if it did happen it would be nice if there could be a rule for determining what it provides immunity to instead of just "various obscure effects." The best way to do it would probably be to give immunity to specific statuses, rather than specific abilities (e.g. explicit immunity to mutations, sleep, and paralysis, rather than immunity to malmutate, giant eyes, and dream sheep).

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 22:46

I'd rather just make the AC and encumbrance equal to swamp dragon armour and allow it to be enchanted to +7 while giving MR++
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 05:47

Vajrapani wrote:I'd rather just make the AC and encumbrance equal to swamp dragon armour and allow it to be enchanted to +7 while giving MR++

HELL if it gave MR+ I'd wear it.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Return to Game Design Discussion