Wands of Flame and Random Effects should be purple

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 23:06

Wands of Flame and Random Effects should be purple

Wands of Flame and Random Effects are only good early on, or as lazy way to kill eels. The first one of each you find will be enough for the entire game. Therefore they should be purple, like scroll of noise or potion of mutation, so you don't pick up more of them.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
PlatinumSpider

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 04:48

Re: Wands of Flame and Random Effects should be purple

I generally interpret purple as "items that are potentially useful but with major drawbacks that make them situational at best," not "weak enough that you never really need more than one." I think purple on Wands of Flame and Random Effects would have a very different meaning from the meaning it has on mutation, noise, and immolation.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 05:35

Random effects fits that definition, unless the invis and haste effects have been removed.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, dracos369, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 05:39

Like Quazifuji said, purple is generally reserved for stuff with potential drawbacks, like scrolls of torment or potions of mutation or lignification. I could kinda see making random effects purple, but the wand of flame?

In any case, you can always manually exclude wands of flame/randomness from your autopickup by using \ (it's right under backspace). There's probably a way to set your files so it always excludes them from the start, but I don't know how to change that.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

For this message the author spudwalt has received thanks:
dracos369

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 07:53

Flame is actually legitimately useful in Shoals, especially on bog-standard meleebot characters that lack ranged damage output; steam does solid damage to lots of stuff in water, at range, and it has a good chance of blocking LOS to boot.

Random effects being purple I could see though.

For this message the author Doesnt has received thanks: 3
Angani, dracos369, NhorianScum

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 12:51

I think the elephant in the room is that wand stacking needs to happen at some point. Treat wand charges as any other stackable ammunition without an upper limit; make all recharge effects uncapped.

For this message the author Steel Neuron has received thanks: 8
Angani, Cimanyd, dracos369, duvessa, Rast, Seven Deadly Sins, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 14:09

Seconding wand of flame being very strong in the water branches.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 15:27

Also purple doesn't specifically mean "you only pick up one of these" an example of a thing you only pick up one of that isn't purple is an rpois ring.

If you want it to not be on autopickup, that is a separate list from the "purple" items, and whether something should be default autopickup is a seperate issue than whether it should be purple.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, Rast

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 20:23

Steel Neuron wrote:I think the elephant in the room is that wand stacking needs to happen at some point. Treat wand charges as any other stackable ammunition without an upper limit; make all recharge effects uncapped.

This is how it works in PSMD, and it works great!
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Return to Game Design Discussion