FR: More alternate floor/wall tilesets for D and maybe U

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2017, 20:30

FR: More alternate floor/wall tilesets for D and maybe U

The black and brown of the 15 levels of the musty dungeon is only occasionaly broken up by the equally satisfying, yet rather unspectacular cave-like layout. Only very, very, very rarely do I get to see the breathtaking jade wall floor.
I'd like to order more of that kind of floor, please.

I think it would be a simple yet effective way to improve the game to bring some more variety into the floor/wall tiles in the dungeon. I think dungeon in particular because it's rather long and branches have their own thematic sets for the most part.

Please bring some more colour into our everday crawl lives.

If only there were a person who is really great at making tiles... sadly, no such person exists.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2017, 21:35

Re: FR: More alternate floor/wall tilesets for D and maybe U

poe's law is hitting me so hard right now

I just want to say that ontoclasm's work is fantastic

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks: 2
nago, removeelyvilon

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2017, 21:45

Please gentleman, there is no malice in my waggish humour.

ontoclasm and Can of Worms of wonderful people. That's why I need them even more than ever before for new tiles galore.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 01:56

In general, I think wall and floor tiles should be less saturated than objects/enemies/things you need to pay attention to.

On the other hand, I've been thinking of doing something to break up the monotony a little bit -- I've been thinking of it for about a year and I haven't started, but things are always busy.

Currently, we have those lovely greenish vine-covered walls for early D, which gradually shift to become more grey and dungeon-y as you get deeper. Then when you get to U, it becomes purplish -- and I would suggest it should get even more purple and even pink as you get close to neon-crazy Zot (which I hope to make more colorful and interesting at some point, but the visual style for Zot should be a consensus decision no matter what my imagination does).

I think it would be nice if we had other subtle primary/secondary color sets for early D that fade into grey: a bluish mushroomy tileset, a reddish leafy tileset, a yellowish desert tileset. Everyone sees early D frequently so it seems like the best place for there to be variation.

The counter-argument I'd anticipate is that it might give players the impression that the different tilesets mean something (e.g. "i always get better treasure when i get blue dungeon" "a jackal pack kills me every time when i get the sandy early dungeon tileset") but I don't think this is a real issue. It's fine if players develop superstitious ideas, and I don't think it would lead to any kind of degenerate gameplay. You might, now, suggest that people would quit/restart until they got a tileset they wanted -- but players already do that for their player dolls and that's just fine for the people who do it.

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks: 3
Brannock, dracos369, removeelyvilon

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 02:12

but players already do that for their player dolls

Just. Press. Minus!!
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 02:24

I know, but they do it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 19:30

roctavian wrote:In general, I think wall and floor tiles should be less saturated than objects/enemies/things you need to pay attention to.

On the other hand, I've been thinking of doing something to break up the monotony a little bit -- I've been thinking of it for about a year and I haven't started, but things are always busy.

Currently, we have those lovely greenish vine-covered walls for early D, which gradually shift to become more grey and dungeon-y as you get deeper. Then when you get to U, it becomes purplish -- and I would suggest it should get even more purple and even pink as you get close to neon-crazy Zot (which I hope to make more colorful and interesting at some point, but the visual style for Zot should be a consensus decision no matter what my imagination does).

I think it would be nice if we had other subtle primary/secondary color sets for early D that fade into grey: a bluish mushroomy tileset, a reddish leafy tileset, a yellowish desert tileset. Everyone sees early D frequently so it seems like the best place for there to be variation.

The counter-argument I'd anticipate is that it might give players the impression that the different tilesets mean something (e.g. "i always get better treasure when i get blue dungeon" "a jackal pack kills me every time when i get the sandy early dungeon tileset") but I don't think this is a real issue. It's fine if players develop superstitious ideas, and I don't think it would lead to any kind of degenerate gameplay. You might, now, suggest that people would quit/restart until they got a tileset they wanted -- but players already do that for their player dolls and that's just fine for the people who do it.

Please, don't let my superstition that cursed items are bad fortune even after you uncurse them and should be swapped out ASAP keep you from working your magic.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th January 2017, 02:11

roctavian wrote:The counter-argument I'd anticipate is that it might give players the impression that the different tilesets mean something (e.g. "i always get better treasure when i get blue dungeon" "a jackal pack kills me every time when i get the sandy early dungeon tileset") but I don't think this is a real issue. It's fine if players develop superstitious ideas, and I don't think it would lead to any kind of degenerate gameplay.
Saying "it's fine if X" sure is a convenient way to dismiss any possible problem.
Currently in Crawl, if the tileset changes it means you've changed branches. There's a 1:1 correspondence between level tilesets and a Big Important Difference in levels. If you find an off-branch tile it means there's a vault, which is also usually a big deal.
If you have that in the game, and then add tileset changes that aren't meaningful, players thinking the meaningless tileset changes might be meaningful isn't a silly superstitious idea, it's basic pattern recognition. Even if it weren't, I don't see how players making decisions based on false information is "fine".

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Spectrina

Return to Game Design Discussion