Race proposal: Tarkata (loosely based on Mortal Kombat race)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2011, 09:18

Race proposal: Tarkata (loosely based on Mortal Kombat race)

Hi all,
after a brief spell of playing Mortal Kombat games, there was an idea of a new race possibly usable in DCSS - the Tarkata (sg. and adj. Tarkatan).

Originally in MK, these were brutal and savage warriors employed by the evil emperor Shao Kahn. They are humanoid, save for two distinctive features: retractable sword-like blades in their arms, and huge pointy teeth. The Tarkatan forces played a part especially in MK3, when they were sent to exterminate human survivors after Shao Kahn's invasion into Earthrealm.
The most prominent member of this race is undoubtedly Baraka.

And here goes my proposal for DCSS:
The Tarkata retain nearly of the MK features, except two: they are still savage, yet cunning, and their sword-like blades are not retractable and they serve them instead of hands. They also grow over time, starting small and growing to full size at adulthood.

For the gameplay, this would mean the following:
Racial mutations and slot restrictions:

Human-like size.
No inherent EV or stealth bonuses and penalties.

Tarkata have blades for arms.
- These are similar to the Blade Hands spell, except the blades are rather small at the start (in terms of damage similar to Claws 2) and over time they grow to full size(say, similar to Claws 3 at XL 5, similar to (virtual) Claws 5 at XL 10 and full Blade Hands at XL 15. Further growth - probably not). They also get a to-hit bonus similar to Trolls and Ghouls.
- They can also effectively use their blades for parrying attacks. As the blades are not shields, an EV bonus (scaled 0/0/+3/+5 with the blades size above) can be used.
- Their blades count as Long Blades for stabbing purposes.
- Their blades can be temporarily branded via appropriate spells. However, the brands cannot be affixed (maybe except God acts?), and if the Tarkata lack the appropriate resistance (rF for Fire Brand etc.), they suffer some damage every turn their blades are branded. Potions and scrolls are not destroyed this way.
This mutation has also some rather large negative effects:
- They can't wield weapons or wands, and they can't throw anything, similarly to felids. They can, however, wield evocables like decks or or crystal balls, although they'll have a hard time with these (see aptitudes below).
- At all times, they suffer a spellcasting penalty similar to the one of Blade Hands spell.
- Obviously, they can't wear gloves. Other armour, including shields, is OK to wear, but due to their clumsiness they need more time to put armour on and off (+50%, might be negated by Armour/Shields skill).
- The most notable negative effect of the blades is that Tarkata don't have fingers - and as such, cannot wear rings. They're restricted to amulets only, which brings quite a large resistances blow for them.
- They suffer a severe penalty when attempting to disarm traps.

Tarkata have unusually large teeth.
Fangs 2. Basically just to keep the Tarkatan MK flavour.

Starting stats (see here for comparison with other races):
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 4
Dexterity: 6
Stat gain: Strength or Dexterity each 4th XL.

Aptitudes:

HP: +1 - After all, they are a warrior race.
MP: -1 - dtto.

Armour: -2 - Due to the difficulties in putting armour on and off, most Tarkata are not likely to even train this skill. They do not directly suck at it, however.
Dodging: 0 - Tarkata are fully humanoid in this respect. However, they can parry attacks with their blades and thus get an EV bonus (see above).
Stealth: +2 - Given their lack of ranged attacks, they developed the ability to close their prey unnoticed.
Stabbing: +2 - They are very proficient at delivering quick, killing blows with their blades.
Shields: -4 - The blades do not outright prevent the use of shields, but they have a hard time before they can use them properly.
Traps and Doors: 0 - Nothing special here, although disarming traps is very difficult for them (see above).

Invocations: 0 - Nothing special here.
Evocations: -3 - They have very difficult times to operate wielded magic items properly.

Fighting: +2 - Natural-born warriors. Enough said.
Unarmed Combat: +1 - Natural-bladed fighters. No other race has a better apt than +1, so I'd stick with that.
All other melee/ranged weapons and Throwing: 0 - Tarkata cannot use any weapons, so the aptitudes are irrelevant here.

Spellcasting: -2 - They are not natural spellcasters,and they suffer a spellcasting penalty (see above).
Necromancy, Conjurations and Hexes: +1 - They are inherently chaotic and evil, so they receive sort of a bonus in these skills.
All other magic schools: -1 - They are not particularly inclined to any of these magic schools. No Transmutation bonus - the blades are a part of their body.

Experience: 120 - Their savagery is somewhat balanced by their natural cunning.

Gameplay considerations:
Obviously, this race would make good EV unarmed combatants with heavy armour options available. However, the rings unavailability gives them a huge resistance blow, which no other race suffers - this is partially alleviated by armour availability.
Also, they do not have any chance of ranged attacks beyond mutations and spells - they'll have a hard time trying to ease opponents before they close in.
And they would make lousy spellcasters, similarly to Trolls.

Suggestions? Critics? Improvements? Or is this utter rubbish I shouldn't have even thought about? ;)
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

For this message the author Zicher has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2011, 10:30

Re: Race proposal: Tarkata (loosely based on Mortal Kombat r

I expected something much worse :)

The name obviously has to change. One main question is whether we want yet another melee biased species. Among melee oriented races, however, this one is fairly distinguished: no ranged combat, making some dabbling with spells necessary, even if it is a slow affair.
The other question is whether the species' scope is too narrow (always stealth/dodging/stabbing).

Altogether, this species proposal looks decent to me.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2011, 10:54

dpeg wrote:The other question is whether the species' scope is too narrow (always stealth/dodging/stabbing).

If this race appears too one-sided, the aptituded in Stealth, Dodging, Stabbing and Armour can be changed of course.
With a different reasoning, the apts could be:
Stealth: 0 - nothing distingushes them from humans,
Dodging: -1 - the blades actually hamper successful avoiding of hits, in comparison to similar-sized races (the parrying EV bonus stays?),
Stabbing: +1 -the reasoning stays as in OP,
Armour: -1 or even 0, but still apply the prolonged (un)equpping time (or even make the penalty worse).

What matters to me is whether the concept itself is acceptable :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2011, 13:02

Sounds a lot like a troll to me. But the flavor is nice and there is some distinction from trolls and ghouls, not in playing style but at least in available equipment. I'm a little worried that disallowing rings might be too much. Also note that blade hands does not meld rings. Allowing rings would just make them strictly better than trolls though, which would be bad.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2011, 17:01

Galefury wrote:Sounds a lot like a troll to me. But the flavor is nice and there is some distinction from trolls and ghouls, not in playing style but at least in available equipment. I'm a little worried that disallowing rings might be too much. Also note that blade hands does not meld rings. Allowing rings would just make them strictly better than trolls though, which would be bad.

I picture blade hands to be like Edward Scissor hands, vice stumpy here. That is plenty enough flavor difference. TBH though I am more interested in seeing Curio's golem race come about.

I like this idea to though, kind of typecast though.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 4th August 2011, 00:26

I actually think the idea of incorporating Baraka's race (or at least something that closely resembles it) into Crawl is quite interesting, and the idea of a melee race without rings is pretty daring. I also think this race would benefit from the implementation of the long awaited stealth/thief god.

For a generic placeholder name until we can think of something better, why not call it "Nomad"? That's what the MK cartoon called Baraka's race before the games codified it as Tarkata.
A ringless race sounds hard, but its actually a fairly logical step after weaponless (Felid) and armorless (Octopode).

For this message the author jackalKnight has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th August 2011, 21:01

jackalKnight wrote:For a generic placeholder name until we can think of something better, why not call it "Nomad"? That's what the MK cartoon called Baraka's race before the games codified it as Tarkata.
A ringless race sounds hard, but its actually a fairly logical step after weaponless (Felid) and armorless (Octopode).

All the other species in Crawl are based on existing animals or public domain mythology -- a player new to the game can probably guess what a Centaur, Octopode, or Vampire is going to be like (and a player sufficiently familiar with esoteric mythology could hazard a guess about Spriggans, Nagas, and Kenku) -- but "Nomad" doesn't really convey the idea of "person with big freakin' knives for hands" unless someone's played the Mortal Kombat cartoon. If I saw a species called "Nomad", I might expect aptitudes and innate mutations more suited for wandering a desert (decent speed, slow metabolism, tough leathery skin, maybe some fire resistance). A generic name getting across the idea of "blades for forearms" might work -- Reaper, Thresher, Slasher. Or, if you're willing to tweak the flavor a bit but keeping the core idea of "melee machine who can't wear rings due to great big weapons for hands", you could reflavor them as giant crustacean claws and call them "Crayfolk" or the like. (Of course, this will all be moot if the idea isn't implemented, but.)

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 5th August 2011, 21:31

nicolae wrote:
All the other species in Crawl are based on existing animals or public domain mythology -- a player new to the game can probably guess what a Centaur, Octopode, or Vampire is going to be like (and a player sufficiently familiar with esoteric mythology could hazard a guess about Spriggans, Nagas, and Kenku) -- but "Nomad" doesn't really convey the idea of "person with big freakin' knives for hands" unless someone's played the Mortal Kombat cartoon. If I saw a species called "Nomad", I might expect aptitudes and innate mutations more suited for wandering a desert (decent speed, slow metabolism, tough leathery skin, maybe some fire resistance). A generic name getting across the idea of "blades for forearms" might work -- Reaper, Thresher, Slasher. Or, if you're willing to tweak the flavor a bit but keeping the core idea of "melee machine who can't wear rings due to great big weapons for hands", you could reflavor them as giant crustacean claws and call them "Crayfolk" or the like. (Of course, this will all be moot if the idea isn't implemented, but.)

You could also use "Dervish" (referencing Baraka's spin move) in addition to those names, since this race would presumably be using a spinning motion to attack with its sword-hands.
Crustacean is an interesting idea too, but we already have a couple of semi-aquatic creatures represented in player races (Octopode, Merfolk).
I actually like the idea of an innate Fire +1, it gives the race another unique draw that Trolls and Ghouls don't have, and it could represent a mutation acquired from living in a desert habitat (Tarkata originated in the deserts of Outworld according to the MK series).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th August 2011, 21:45

jackalKnight wrote:Crustacean is an interesting idea too, but we already have a couple of semi-aquatic creatures represented in player races (Octopode, Merfolk).

Maybe Crawl needs more species diversity than just some terrestrial vertebrates!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 5th August 2011, 22:15

Good point.

Return to Game Design Discussion