Navigate all menu's/lists with arrow keys? (Feature request)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 11th August 2011, 14:03

Navigate all menu's/lists with arrow keys? (Feature request)

I noticed that the main menu and character creation screens can be navigated by using the arrow keys and pressing "Enter" to confirm your selection. I was really hoping that all other menus and lists could work this way as well such as using inventory items, wielding/wearing weapons/armor, quaffing potions, casting sells, etc.

I'm a bit odd in that I like playing roguelikes with a gamepad using xpadder. It works really well too for most roguelikes and their command sets, except for hen you have to select an iten/option by pressing the character key. Some games like DoomRL and Incursion allow you to use the arrow keys and the "Enter" key to make selections in all game menus. Needless to say, it works much better in those games.

Anyways, I really hope this is possible as a new feature in a future version. Or is it possible some way already that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

-Legend

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 11th August 2011, 15:56

Re: Navigate all menu's/lists with arrow keys? (Feature requ

The inventory does not have arrow commands, but it does have two special commands:

' - moves the cursor downward
. - moves the cursor downward and selects the item

Perhaps you can rebind them?

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 11th August 2011, 20:53

The inventory does not have arrow commands, but it does have two special commands:

' - moves the cursor downward
. - moves the cursor downward and selects the item

Perhaps you can rebind them?

Just tried that. Doesn't seem to work.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 12th August 2011, 03:36

I do like being able to use the arrow keys like that. However, they already serve the purpose of scrolling the inventory screen, so there's a serious dilemma here.

Can't the screen still scroll and and be used to select from the inventory and other in game menus? I guess it would have the selected/highlighted item the center of the scroll field or something like that so it could still scroll through the whole inventory and make selections? Or maybe page up/down could be substituted for the scrolling of the screen?

I suppose I haven't had enough in my inventory recently to even notice that the arrow keys are used to scroll it cause I don't recall noticing it before.

Return to Game Design Discussion