Storm Knights and Snail Knights

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 16:34

Storm Knights and Snail Knights

Chaos Knights exist presumably so that people can say they ascended a character that worshipped Xom literally the entire game. Qazlal and Cheibriados have two of the hardest conducts amongst the dieties and can be considered challenge gods as well. I think that they should have zealot starts so that one can say they worshipped these challenge gods the whole game.

I like to play games with Chei, but I often feel like I've cheated the challenge if I don't run into an altar of his before D:7. Having a Snail Knight start would help this out greatly.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 16:39

Re: Storm Knights and Snail Knights

The developers have been removing Zealot starts for a while now, so I'm not sure if they'd be interested in adding more of them again. I'm also not sure if I agree with your assessment of Cheibriados and Qazlal. They certainly are among the more "radical" gods in terms of how they change gameplay, but I'm not sure they're necessarily challenging on the level of a Xom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 17:01

Chei & Qaz are both really strong.

AK exists because otherwise it's very unlikely to see the relevant altar. Should Jelly Knight exist?

Barkeep

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 17:11

All of these zealot starts have been proposed numerous times in the past without gaining any traction among the devs. I suppose folks can feel free to discuss it again, but I think these new knights are unlikely to make it into the game.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 02:53

I think one of the most basic reason against having these new zealots is that Monk exists. Just play Monk if you want a leg-up with your chosen diety, no need for having each God be a separate background.

For this message the author tankra has received thanks: 2
IronCretin, scorpionwarrior

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 03:48

Speleothing wrote:AK exists because otherwise it's very unlikely to see the relevant altar. Should Jelly Knight exist?

Making Slime Knights just seems like a pointless compromise. If there's a gameplay reason for early Jiyva altars to be rare, then it's also probably a reason for Slime Knights not to exist. If there isn't a gameplay reason, then Jiyva should just become a temple god (or reliably accessible early on in some other manner like Beogh).

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 4
archaeo, duvessa, nago, Rast

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 08:56

Snail Knights sound like a draconian monster in zot.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 15:49

I'd play the hell out of a quaz zealot.

Slowknight is a bit much. Early pick Chei in general is hilariously strong, his challenge conduct is having distortion piety before centaurs show up.

(Would like yred/TSO zealots to return... just to give me any reason to play yred over kiku ever or a reason to play TSO...ever.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 10:44

Quazifuji wrote:
Speleothing wrote:AK exists because otherwise it's very unlikely to see the relevant altar. Should Jelly Knight exist?

Making Slime Knights just seems like a pointless compromise. If there's a gameplay reason for early Jiyva altars to be rare, then it's also probably a reason for Slime Knights not to exist. If there isn't a gameplay reason, then Jiyva should just become a temple god (or reliably accessible early on in some other manner like Beogh).

I think there is a theoretical reason that jellies would eat the stuff you need to survive the earliest part of the dungeon. In practice, Jivvy is OK nonetheless. Making her a later god is a deliberate choice anyway, so we don't have much of a chance to have a slime knight. I think her rarity in the early game also has something to do with the free rune, it is a good tradeoff if you don't want to do one of the lair branches.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 03:14

Quazifuji wrote:

Agreed, I was just making a point

Return to Game Design Discussion