Remove Dowan and Duvessa

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 19:35

Remove Dowan and Duvessa

Quote from Wiglaf removal: "With Donald's flavour ringing truer and truer over the years, and with
Wiglaf representing a removed race (...)."

Dowan and Duvessa represent a removed race, the high elves. Hold your "Objection!" - we know that they are high elves because Dowan has the characteristic flowing blonde hair of a high elf and duvessa is his sister so she's one as well.

Now some of you will point out that their species is simply listed as "elf". But wouldn't you believe it, "elf" is also a removed race.

And what does the up-to date CrawlWiki tell us? "Note that there are no actual deep elf uniques. However, the following three unique elves appear in the dungeon." Also they don't have the charecteristic red eyes, white hair and pale skin of deep elves.

So they either represent "high elves" or "elves", both player races that were removed. Not reason enough to remove them? Well it was sure as hell enough reason to remove Wiglaf. Since his mechanics got passed on to Donald, we can tell that Wiglaf was actually interesting enough to exist, he just happened to be a dwarf.

But I will also point out that Dowan and Duvessa are not good mechanically regardless. They are wimpy and weak and pose no real threat once you know how their gimmick works, in fact, it even works against them. One cannot even follow you upstairs unless the other is also adjecent to you and you can easily abuse that fact like a power gamer in a pen&paper roleplaying game to avoid them or snipe one of them. Then you realize that Duvessa's wonder twin power is only temporary and can thus be stalled out easily. But even if you just charge in headlong into both of them they are very, very, very unliekely to put up any semblance of a fight, wonder twin power or not.

If it's too long to read, then why do you answer anyway (Iftltr;twdyaa?): Dowan and Duvessa represent either a removed player race or another removed player race. Their gimmick sounds cool on paper (dual boss fight) but in actuality promotes questionable gameplay, is spoilery and poses no real challenge except to new players who encounter them for the very first time, a kill rate which is abysmally lower than the high dev standards plus it's not interesting for players to face off against them. Also neither of them brings anything unique to the table, Dowan is a glorified orc wizard while Duvessa is a very poor man's Rupert.

I recomend using an axe. Axes cleave, so you can remove both of them in a single commit.

Checkmate.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, Shard1697

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 19:53

Re: Remove Dowan and Duvessa

I'm personally quite fond of the two, and would rather not see them go. I don't think the appearance aspect is any kind of argument really, they could easily just dye their respective hairs; Dowan is even identified as "vain" in his description so he'd probably be up for inventing some kind of hair-styling magic.

I also don't agree with the "wimpy" argument, I certainly respect them more then at least a few other early uniques, and I think the considerations introduced by their special powers do actually come into effect in a fair number of games. The argument that they can be stairdanced/avoided easily holds true for many of the game's monsters and should probably be addressed by other changes to game-mechanics.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 20:33

removeelyvilon wrote:[Dowan and Duvessa] are wimpy and weak and pose no real threat once you know how their gimmick works

Mhmm, what does sequell tell us in Top killer statistics?

## / Killer / % / Kills
42 / Duvessa / 0.36% / 23975
58 / Dowan / 0.21% / 13610

Interestingly, the following dangerous monsters are ranked lower:
orc knight #64, centaur warrior #72, cyclops #76, black mamba #79.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, Sar

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 21:23

Turukano wrote:
removeelyvilon wrote:[Dowan and Duvessa] are wimpy and weak and pose no real threat once you know how their gimmick works

## / Killer / % / Kills

From the same list:

## / Killer / % / Kills

27 / rat / 0.64% / 42106

Rat more dangerous than Dowan and Duvessa confirmed

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 21:26

cyclopes and orc knights aren't dangerous

i agree with the op on the mechanics but they're wrong about us not being deep elves. canonically we are deep elves; tiles often don't match the actual canon and in any case deep elf hair, eye and skin colours are quite diverse (plus dowan dyes his hair)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 02:42

I agree that Duvessa that should be able to use her power-up multiple times, as the status quo is exploitable.

The flavor argument seems irrelevant, and if they are determined to not be dangerous enough they can be bumped up a level. Perhaps they should path to each other when wandering so they aren't quite so easy to separate?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 06:32

The status quo is extremely spoilery also. I have just checked 0.19 to be sure and still there is no description "Duvessa will berserk once when it sees you after Dowan is dead". I can imagine many new players die to that feature first time they see it.
Please don't tell it should be expected because of being relatives etc., we don't get Orc Warlord berserking when we kill plain orcs which might be relatives or some kind of brotherhood too.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 10:35

Orcs live short, violent lives, they're used to that kind of stuff happening. Jeez, Sandman, do you even fantasy?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
dracos369, nago

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 15:56

removeelyvilon wrote:
Turukano wrote:

## / Killer / % / Kills

From the same list:

## / Killer / % / Kills

27 / rat / 0.64% / 42106

Rat more dangerous than Dowan and Duvessa confirmed

The proof above is not correct but it doesn't mean that the statement "Duvessa/Dowan aren't dangerous if you know how their gimmick works" is true. It's well known that D:1 is the most dangerous floor (or perhaps D:2), so directly comparing killers is not correct.

A better idea can be obtained by looking at player deaths on floors D:4 to D:7, where Duvessa/Dowan are generated.

For instance:
  Code:
!lg * place=D:5 s=killer
<Sequell> 339221 games for * (place=D:5): 37472x a centaur, 33236x an
                ogre, 23815x an orc priest, 18353x an orc wizard, 18076x,
                12551x an ice beast, 11769x a gnoll, 11270x an orc warrior,
                9366x an orc, 8981x a sky beast, 8293x Prince Ribbit, 6624x a
                worker ant, 6508x Menkaure, 6441x Pikel, 6007x a jelly, 5725x
                Duvessa, 5567x an iguana, 4226x Grinder, 4047x Blork the orc,
                3814x a scorpion, 3325x Dowan,

Duvessa seems to kill her fair share of adventurers. If we add Dowan, the duo are the top killers among uniques. I treat all the monsters in the list as dangerous when I encounter them (a plain orc is in the list but it was probably part of a group).

Regarding the OP: I am not sure if this post is serious, but it is in GDD, so I'm assuming it is. I agree that there should be some indication of the superpowers (perhaps in the description) each of them gets when the other is killed. Also, it shouldn't be gameable. Dowan's superpowers are already permanent. Perhaps Duvessa could simply be given a "Might" superpower.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 16:10

Sar wrote:Orcs live short, violent lives, they're used to that kind of stuff happening. Jeez, Sandman, do you even fantasy?

Fantasy is full of revenge too, that's how all those never-ending wars and hate start.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 16:33

Dowan and Duvessa are canonically deep elves, now.

It's probably a good idea to take a look at Duvessa's berserking being one-time-only.

I agree that the twins are spoilery (and this could be improved) but I'm not in favor of removing them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 19:50

we were always canonically deep elves

Return to Game Design Discussion