Re-unify Charms and Hexes (at least for now)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 16:35

Re-unify Charms and Hexes (at least for now)

Back in the day Charms and Hexes were part of a single school, Enchantments, which the devs wisely split because spells like Phase Shift, Stoneskin, Haste, and a no-downsides Swiftness justified a school of their own. Now none of these spells exist, and both schools are widely believed to have scaling problems. So, combining Charms and Hexes back into a single Enchantments school strikes me as an elegant and obvious solution.

Both schools are fun, especially in combination, so this would make a fun playstyle more accessible. Nor do I foresee balance problems. All the high-level Charms are dual-school now, and these other schools don't especially synergize with Hexes. And many current Hexes spells will still not be especially accessible to the standard target audience of Charms, since the former relies on spellpower, which people who only want Song of Battle or Reflect Missiles have reason to neglect. Some spell levels will need tweaking (Spectral Weapon should be level 4), but these should be obvious.

In the magical day when there are strong high level Charms again, the current split will make sense, but this day is not here and afaict pretty far off.

For this message the author luckless has received thanks: 8
Cimanyd, Deso, dracos369, Elitist, gfgf45550, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 16:46

Re: Re-unify Charms and Hexes (at least for now)

I like the idea, currently Charms are in weird place. It has a bunch of good low level spells but all those are dual school and another school is more useful, it is almost never a good idea to train Charms above just a couple levels, even Poison school is trained higher optimally because Poison spells at least care about spell power.

Death's Door - you have Borg. Revivification before it.
Ring of Flames - is very rarely used and even then it means you got Fire Storm before that.
Deflect Missiles - RMsl is a viable cheap substitue, only Air magic guys should go for it.
Iskenderun's Battlesphere - you will naturally have higher Conjurations if you go for this spell
Excruciating Wounds - you will naturally have higher Necromancy if pain brand is good for you
All other Charms spells are level 3 and below.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
luckless

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 16:47

I think it's much simpler to remove Charms instead.

For this message the author gfgf45550 has received thanks: 3
duvessa, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 17:26

I do also think regeneration should be changed to function similar to Powered by Death, alongside putting these together.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 17:26

gfgf45550 wrote:I think it's much simpler to remove Charms instead.

aw, now you're just being a grinch. I'm sure that in Purist World--where we all wear unflattering black clothes, only play Crawl on Linux, and live in solar-powered houses populated by ultramodern Danish furniture--Charms has long since been removed on the basis of sound formal principles of game design. But I'm an American and if you take away my ability to get satisfyingly large slaying bonuses for chewing through popcorn, or tab through crowds of archers rather than defeat them via careful positioning and ranged attacks of my own, it'll be from my cold dead hands.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 18:17

luckless wrote:I'm an American and if you take away my ability to get satisfyingly large slaying bonuses for chewing through popcorn, or tab through crowds of archers rather than defeat them via careful positioning and ranged attacks of my own, it'll be from my cold dead hands.

Charms can be removed as school, and the spells can be split between other ones.

Simple. Elegant. Useful.

For this message the author gfgf45550 has received thanks: 2
luckless, removeelyvilon

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 18:23

Ah, I thought you meant getting rid of the spells entirely.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 20:02

gfgf45550 wrote:
luckless wrote:I'm an American and if you take away my ability to get satisfyingly large slaying bonuses for chewing through popcorn, or tab through crowds of archers rather than defeat them via careful positioning and ranged attacks of my own, it'll be from my cold dead hands.

Charms can be removed as school, and the spells can be split between other ones.

Simple. Elegant. Useful.

I call dibs on Ozo's for tmut. It makes sense thematically (you partially transform your skin into ice), "augment offensive and defensive capabilites with transformations" and mechanically (all forms have pitiful armour except statue form, and ozo's already doesn't stack with statue form so you can't go overboard with AC), transmutations also generally are a bundle of pros and cons, and now that Ozo's slows you down a little, this applies.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks:
Shard1697

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 21:15

Back to the Future!
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 04:37

OM is back, now Enchantments...

No, this sounds fantastic, though I'd still like to see a system implemented for Hexes that gives partial credit for multiple hexing attempts (how many times have you missed a 37% confusion before? Certainly more than three, and I have too). It has my blessings.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 06:22

What's OM?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 07:31

Ogre Mage

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 07:33

EZ1 that's an old species

(Elyvilon, Zin, The Shining One. Good gods. Get it? "Good god"?)
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Game Design Discussion