Delayed Fire-Ball as an Ability

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 17:54

Delayed Fire-Ball as an Ability

I understand that Delayed Fireball is classified as an ability so as to be casted instantaneously and not be affected by silence. However I feel like the spell description really failed to explain how to use the spell. I had to look on the forum to figure out how it worked. So I suggest an edit in the spell description that makes it a little more straightforward.

Current "Gives the caster the ability to instantaneously release a fireball at a later
time. Knowing this spell allows the learner to memorise Fireball for no
additional spell levels."

Edited: Gives the caster the ability to instantaneously release a fireball at a later
time.. Press "a" to pull up the ability menu. Knowing this spell allows the learner to memorise Fireball for no additional spell levels

Does anyone feel the same way? It technically does say ability but this crawl noob didn't not make the connection.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 21:12

Re: Delayed Fire-Ball as an Ability

To be honest, it makes me feel like delayed fireball shouldn't be a spell. It's a spell that adds something to the ability screen -- the only spell to do this, as far as I can remember -- and while it's a neat effect, I don't think it's neat enough to warrant the complexity and its other complexities, like the spell slot special case.

It might be more interesting if, say, Vehumet were to allow players to delay one of any supported conjuration or something. Interface-wise, it would make more sense (oh yeah gods give you 'a'bilities) and also then I wouldn't wonder "why is Fireball so special as to get a special delayed version?"
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
ManMan, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 21:21

njvack wrote:To be honest, it makes me feel like delayed fireball shouldn't be a spell. It's a spell that adds something to the ability screen -- the only spell to do this, as far as I can remember
all transmutations

i do think it shouldn't be a spell though, it's the conjuration equivalent of current repel/deflect missiles and is no less problematic

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
ydeve

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 21:24

oh yeah, transmutations :/
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th December 2016, 21:40

njvack wrote:and also then I wouldn't wonder "why is Fireball so special as to get a special delayed version?"

It's one of those weird d&d things that's still in the game for whatever reason
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 00:39

njvack wrote:It might be more interesting if, say, Vehumet were to allow players to delay one of any supported conjuration or something.

I actually really love this idea

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th December 2016, 01:11

Could give Sif an activated ability to cast a spell instantly, I suppose. There are technical problems with that, however.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Return to Game Design Discussion