Announce sufficiently out of depth spawns to the player

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 01:36

Announce sufficiently out of depth spawns to the player

An idea taken straight out of ADOM, which has a special message whenever an OOD spawn is attempted by the game and an additional one if it's not generated after all ("You sense imminent danger..." and "...but the feeling passes." respectively).

It doesn't carry any substantial gameplay change, but I think it might be interesting if presented in a slightly less cryptic manner to the player, something along the lines of "you feel a powerful enemy appeared on this level", pardon my second language. It would be used only for the spawns after the level was already generated, and only to announce particularly bad spawns like the famous D:1 centaur. Might be also used for stuff like thorn hunters in Swamp or orbs of fire in Zot, but the way I see it it would be mostly used in Dungeon because it uses a broad table of possible spawns with real out of depth threats. Alternatively you could just add special out of depth spawns for all branches; IIRC Lair got a few of those recently.

Again, it doesn't change much, but would be a nice touch. Also makes players feel slightly less "cheated" by "unfair" deaths since they would be warned beforehand.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks: 9
archaeo, Cimanyd, Floodkiller, Implojin, MainiacJoe, Quazifuji, Seven Deadly Sins, Sprucery, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 02:33

Re: Announce sufficiently out of depth spawns to the player

This is actually a really nice idea, since it gives the player a choice: continue exploring this level despite the risk of encountering a nasty OOD monster, or forgo the XP and items from doing so. Right now, the player has no way of making that choice, which is actually less interesting, not more. Letting the player choose to pay a strategic cost to avoid a nasty tactical encounter is better than simply forcing that tactical encounter.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 3
Implojin, Seven Deadly Sins, VeryAngryFelid

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 05:49

It's kinda scary too, like there's a monster in the maze and the player has to avoid it.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 06:42

sounds like a lab suggestion
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 25th December 2016, 05:03

I recon this was already implemented in Zot Defence.
"You sense that a powerful threat has arrived."
"You hear ominous buzzing."

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 25th December 2016, 07:12

I really like this idea. The OoD clock's existence already creates the decision of "do I descend now or take the risk of encountering an OoD monster?" But right now, that decision is ridiculously spoilery, because you have to know that the OoD clock exists and you can make a more informed decision by knowing how it works.

Actually displaying a message when an OoD monster spawns makes that decision way less spoilery and creates its own fun tension when you decide how to react.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
Seven Deadly Sins

Return to Game Design Discussion