riposte chance should be independent of shields

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 04:23

riposte chance should be independent of shields

The simplest fix would be to check EV after all block attempts, successful or not. If you would've evaded the attack anyway, and it's a melee attack, you have a chance to riposte.

The current system disincentivizes long blade users from using shields in a way that is both (a) counterintuitive and therefore spoilery, and (b) serves no worthwhile gameplay purpose afaict.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 04:46

Re: riposte chance should be independent of shields

Or check EV before SH.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 3
dracos369, duvessa, nago

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 09:07

That would be a (slight?) buff to most shields and a (slight?) nerf to reflection. It's probably a good idea, but the original post was meant to be a change that wouldn't impact anything else.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 10:19

A similar thread from earlier brought this up and had a patch written to check dodge before shields, though I don't know if it was ever implemented.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21777

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 11:09

PlatinumSpider wrote:A similar thread from earlier brought this up and had a patch written to check dodge before shields, though I don't know if it was ever implemented.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21777

As the author of that patch, it was written quickly and made some assumptions about the existing setup code being well encapsulated. It was shit and would have introduced more bugs than it fixed as written. A cursory look at the current git repo indicates that patch was never pushed, which is good.

Some of the existing code that would need to be changed to properly resolve EV before blocking is a little bit thorny, and my guess is that someone decided status quo was better than rewriting the relevant bits, although I don't feel like looking through the -dev logs to find out.

Return to Game Design Discussion