Proposal : Smith god (other aspect)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 15:41

Proposal : Smith god (other aspect)

I read dpeg's equipment god proposal(https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:god:propose:equipment) but I think this becomes old-fashioned now..

so I try to propose smith god at other aspect, based on idea "permanent equipments god"(yes I got this idea after playing hep :))

Power

When you start to believe him, he gives you one divine weapon, one divine body armour

you can choose the base of those equipment.

Weapon
Short Blade - rapier(or quick blade?)
1-handed sword - double sword
2-handed sword - triple sword
1-handed mace - eveningstar
2-handed mace - giant club(gsc seems too powerful for other species)
1-handed axe - broad axe
2-handed axe - exec's axe
1-handed spear - trishula(I think demon trident is not enough.. cuz other 1-handed weapons have more powerful tier beyond demon- equipments)
2-handed spear - bardiche
2-handed staff - lajatang

ranged weapon - ???(I think it can be very problematic if he don't give ammunition.. one way is just prohibit ranged weapon but also I think it is interesting if he give ranged weapon and infinite ammunition. not like oka or trog, but unlimited, undiminishing ammunition which is auto-quivered when you equip divine ranged weapon)

Armour
AC 5 ER 0 - light armour - for spellcaster, or stabber
AC 10 ER 10 - middle armour - for hybrid
AC 15 ER 20 - heavy armour - for fighter

the enchantment value of divine equipments increase along with your piety, maximized at *6, and the maximum value is for weapon +12, for body armour base AC +3(so eventually you will get +12 weapon and +8/+13/+18 body armour)

• 1st forge : you can forge your divine equipments
    weapon have brand at this time, armour have 2 resistance at this time.
  • disarm : destroy every equipments of armored enemy (cost : 3)
    this ability remove every equipments from enemy. even shield and body armour. if opponent wearing artifact, then it dropped to floor. it can't be resistable, only has failure chance based on invoc.

• refinement : temporary boost your divine equipments (cost : 5)
    give more enchantment value to your weapon, give more enchantment to or reduce ER of body armour(give more enchant to light armour, more decrease ER to heavy armour) based on invoc, and makes your equipments immune to corr, remove it if already have.
    (I think maximum added enchant value should be about +5. and think formula like invoc/4 so makes it maximized at skill 20 seems fine.. but I'm not good at math so there will be better formula. and also durations should be affected by invoc level)

• 2nd forge : you can add 1 specific, random valued property to your divine equipments
    divine equipments get stat bonus at this time(3~10)

• 3rd forge : you can add 1 specific, random valued property to your divine equipments
    weapon have 1 resistance, armour have 1 offensive property(slay+ or archmagi)

• last forge : you can add 1 random other property to your divine equipments, such as Stealth+, MR+, +Regen, +RegenMP, +Inv, +Rage, Sinv, Wiz...(maybe we can add fixed artifact property here? like clar, flash freeze, halo...)

• reforge : you can change properties of your divine equipments. (cost : 20)
    you are able to select property but the value change randomly, however you get better outcome if you have high invoc.
    For instance, if you don't like body armour's res, than you use this ablity and reroll property which comes from 1st forge ablity. so rC++ can be changed into rF+, rElec.
    or when you got +3 Str from you 2nd forge ablity to your weapon, you can change this value into +6 Dex with this ablity

each forge can be used once, and has no cost.

so finally, at *6 you would get weapon and body armour like:

+12 eveningstar(base dam : 15, acc : -1) {speed, +6 Dex, rF+, +Rage}

+13 Middle armour(base AC : 10, ER : 10) {rF+, rElec, +4 Int, +4 Slay, Wiz}

and also you need to maintain your piety level to get forge bonus from this level.

I mean, if you already use *5 ablity:last forge, and get +Regen option to your equipments, after then spamming refinement ability many times so your piety decrese to *4, now you don't get +regen bonus from your equipment. but it never changed, and give +Regen bonus again you come back to *5

(at this case unlights this property make things more intuitive, if possible to code that ;))

for unnecessary comments, it would be funny there is ablity which names your equipments

Piety gain & loss

Gain piety from exploring with divine equipments

Gain piety from killing moster who wield/wear weapon/armour(cuz defeating armored mosnter with divine equipments means some way of proof that your equipments better than enemy's!)

Decreasing per some turns like other gods(trog, oka..)

Prohibition

Smith god hates you using other equipments. hence you only wieid/wear divine weapon and body armour on this slot.(so no blowgun/unarmed/rod)

Smith god hates other source of forge, so you can't use scroll of enchant weapon, armour and brand weapon. and also prohibit some spells which is counted as forging(ozocubu's armour, excruciating wounds, cigotuvi's embrace.. maybe song of slaying and spectral weapon?)

Smith god wants you to use his divine equipments all the time in dungeon. so prohibit some trasmutation spells or ability which merge divine equipments(so you're not possible to cast spider form, ice form, blade hands, statue form, dragon form, and bat form if you're vamp)

Wraith

get rid of divine equipments, and impossible to use same weapon type until molified..(lack of creativity.. need better idea)

Expected Problems

1. Species

draco can't wear body armour, small species can't wield some weapons

possible solutions - make ignore armour restriction for divine equipments? or give them othes equipment if ther have restriction?

2. weapon brand

at now, I think most people have obviously preference to some brands like speed, vamp, and holy for extended game.

posiible solutions - just make impossible to get holy, and give scaled chance to better brand related with invoc? or just make everything random?

3. randomness of property

at 20 cost, I think we can use reforge 10 or less times in 3 rune game.. so it might be possible you never get what you exactly want

possible solutions - what if reforge provide possible property list, and give failure chance to each one then makes it scaled with invoc? perhaps we easily get crazy item on this way?

4. base type of equipment

Yes, I know there could be balance problem if we use that rough valued base equipments..

but I'm not that good about dcss's code to find out what's the best base value for weapon and armour. so I need help at this part.

It is flash idea, don't be carfully pondered... just write this thing for sharing my brief thinking.

I understand my idea need further elaboration, so plz tell your opinions!

PS : if my bad english bother you, I'm so sorry. I'm not native and still learning english. let me know if you find out weird or confused sentence..

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 15:53

Re: Proposal : Smith god (other aspect)

Welcome.

Psieye wrote:The steps to writing a god proposal:

Question 1: what gameplay purpose does this god proposal seek to achieve?

Question 2: why would players find it fun to pick this god?

Question 3 is "mechanics?" and Question 4 is "flavour?"
Could you elaborate on questions 1 and 2 please?

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 16:41

Psieye wrote:Welcome.

Psieye wrote:The steps to writing a god proposal:

Question 3 is "mechanics?" and Question 4 is "flavour?"
Could you elaborate on questions 1 and 2 please?

oops I didn't read that thing first..

I think In dcss most of possible concept god already exist, but there is no god purely based on player's equipment. oka and trog give equipment, but this is sub-part of there power, not main-part. so background of proposal is, there is no equipment-based god which makes you progress dungeon by boosting your equipments. I expect this god gives experience to players using powerful equipments which customized by there hands and flavor.

some players might agree that it's seriously painful when you can't find high tiered weapon like double sword or eveningstar after clearing hall of blades, or until depth.but with my proposal, smith god, you can get high tier weapon at very early stage, and you can boost this thing almost powerful as other fixed artifact. so you don't need to worry about the point of using enchantment scroll.
and I think actually it's almost repeat of answer to question 1.. but anyway, you can have chance to make your ideal armour or crazily devastating weapon. for me, it can be new, funny experience that crawl doesn't give until now.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 19:35

Disarm seems very OP

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 4th December 2016, 09:55

cosmonaut wrote:Question 1: what gameplay purpose does this god proposal seek to achieve?

I think In dcss most of possible concept god already exist, but there is no god purely based on player's equipment. oka and trog give equipment, but this is sub-part of there power, not main-part. so background of proposal is, there is no equipment-based god which makes you progress dungeon by boosting your equipments. I expect this god gives experience to players using powerful equipments which customized by there hands and flavor.

Ah, so this is a god of "I don't want to rely on RNG from floorgod or Oka/Trog/Gozag/Ash for my gear" and "I want to see my equipment get better over time". In other words, a Jiyva of equipment.

cosmonaut wrote:Question 2: why would players find it fun to pick this god?

some players might agree that it's seriously painful when you can't find high tiered weapon like double sword or eveningstar after clearing hall of blades, or until depth.but with my proposal, smith god, you can get high tier weapon at very early stage, and you can boost this thing almost powerful as other fixed artifact. so you don't need to worry about the point of using enchantment scroll.
and I think actually it's almost repeat of answer to question 1.. but anyway, you can have chance to make your ideal armour or crazily devastating weapon. for me, it can be new, funny experience that crawl doesn't give until now.
I'd argue "find a double sword or eveningstar before depths" is just Greed, not Need. But "I want a guarantee of amazing gear" is still a valid reason to pick this god over others.

I'd design such a god with these features:
- Divine equipment cannot be unequipped
- Divine equipment gets its traits periodically changed: you don't have control when but you at least know it'll be good each time
- Consume piety and enchant/brand weapon scrolls to increase the number of traits on your equipment
- Divine equipment is immediately revoked on abandonment

By 'traits' I don't just mean things like "+5 Int" or "+rF", I also include more fundamental things like "base accuracy/attack delay" or "encumberance rating". Could even include fucked up things like "this 'sword' has a reaching attack to range 3".

Return to Game Design Discussion