Don't generate player ghosts in portals

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 16:32

Don't generate player ghosts in portals

It is extremely unfair when you enter a portal and get an overpowered player ghost with no exit in view. Also you cannot re-enter the portal so you lose your chance to get any loot/XP (and probably you spent some consumables trying to reach portal in time).
Please disable player ghost generation in portals, it is more annoying than fun and leads to unavoidable deaths more often than on normal floors.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 6
Blomdor, dowan, Elitist, Steel Neuron, WingedEspeon, ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 20:24

Re: Don't generate player ghosts in portals

Portals are not guaranteed, perhaps you can think of this as just another bad roll on portal generation? It's kinda like the vanishing shops (mimics).

Also, there are times when the pc entering the portal actually was the means (might, haste, wand, weapon, etc) to actually defeat the ghost, which is not only fun, but also gives a nice boost of early XP.

For this message the author Moose has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 20:26

Hell no, if I actually died in a portal I sure want my ghost to haunt some unlucky adventurer! Booo!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 20:30

The thread was expired by a post of another player.
Someone left a GrTm in a wizlab.

Max HP: 125
AC +++++ +++
EV +++++ ++
MR ++++

Only spell known is Vampiric Draining.

I put up a decent fight but stood no chance in the end, even with might quaffed. I couldn't run, because I could not leave the lab from where I entered and was a formicid. It was Wucad Mu's Monastery.

I recalled my own death of Mu of Chei who entered Bailey and found a ghost with sticky flame 1 tile away and made me wonder:

If we want to make portals more dangerous, we can put Ice Fiend, 2 Ice Dragons, Frost Giant AFTER player finds an exit... Do we really need to have another way of unavoidable deaths? It's worse than entering a Zig when you don't know what you will be up against, but in Zig you at least know where the exit is.

Edit. To make it clear I am not against generating random monsters in portals, Caustic Shrike or Iron Giant is fine in Ossuary, just don't generate it BEFORE player found an exit. Then players can learn and decide if they want to enter those portals again. Current situation teaches nothing IMHO.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Blomdor

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 20:34

or maybe we can put exists closer to entrances in those vaults if it really is that much of a problem

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Blomdor, Cimanyd, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 20:36

Sar wrote:or maybe we can put exists closer to entrances in those vaults if it really is that much of a problem

Putting player right on exit would be good IMHO (assuming it does not look like my idea of disabling ghosts has much support). Then players can blame themselves for being reckless if they die.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 3
Blomdor, Cimanyd, ydeve

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 13:18

I'd be fine with that, if ghosts must spawn in portals. The decision to risk character death for portal loot and XP is an interesting one and indeed a large part of what makes portals so exciting. Being forced into a fight that you know for a fact you cannot win is not interesting or exciting at all.

The thing that makes hilariously overpowered player ghosts bearable at all normally is that they are highly avoidable. They don't follow you through stairs. But their incredibly random nature and potential for being extremely overpowered compared to almost everything else on a given level does not mix well with situations where they are *not* so avoidable. It also just seems wrong to my mind to essentially punish random people on a server because someone decided to splat a draconian abyssal knight in the worst place possible, but that's an argument against ghosts in general I suppose. Just restricting them from generating in areas where they could force a player into an unwinnable fight, or guaranteeing an exit to a portal very close to where you enter it just in case, would be an improvement.

For this message the author Blomdor has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 25th November 2016, 16:36

i once entered a relatively early ice cave and faced 2 ghosts that were closer to the exit than i was (and no blink scrolls available). i really don't see why they *should* generate.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 25th November 2016, 20:15

just play on a server few people play on.
remove food

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 26th November 2016, 02:28

I agree with this because portals should already have a balanced risk vs reward and adding ghosts should upset that balance.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 26th November 2016, 02:35

"Don't generate player ghosts" stopped reading, cosigned

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, Blomdor, duvessa, Hellmonk, nago, ydeve

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 26th November 2016, 13:30

tabstorm wrote:just play on a server few people play on.

Already on this. But thanks for screwing it up by encouraging more people to pollute.... uhh.... berotato... yeah thats it.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 26th November 2016, 23:17

For this message the author yesno has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Return to Game Design Discussion