Zap bounce online vs offline

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 26th November 2016, 02:17

Zap bounce online vs offline

I was playing a few games as an AE last night online and found a big difference between the around corner double bounce between the online and offline.
Hopefully I can describe it clearly enough.
When you exit a one space wide corridor diagonally you can shoot a zap into the opposite wall of the corridor to bounce against the near wall again and hit an enemy twice. I'm sure you all know what I mean. The problem is that in the offline game the zap will then bounce one space farther and then double zap that space as well but online it was only hitting the second space once.
I noticed this a lot because I play offline always unless there's an experimental build I want to try so it felt like a huge nerf to AE for me. I'm not sure which of the results is intended but they should at least match. I think the extended double zap is better as zap is pretty weak normally.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th December 2016, 09:17

Re: Zap bounce online vs offline

Interesting. It was noted bouncing mechanics were behaving oddly: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22000.

Your observation that online and offline are out of sync suggests it is definitely a bug, rather than some deliberate mechanic change.

Should probably bug report it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 4th December 2016, 09:53

IIRC, Zap's range is actually longer than LOS, but won't actually hit anything further from you than LOS. I wonder if something happened in the relevant handling of spell range vs. LOS which inadvertently nerfed Zap as a side effect?

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 4th December 2016, 09:57

Thanks for the suggestion. I submitted one, hopefully I did it right as it's the first time I've done it.

Return to Game Design Discussion