Add warnings to escape hatches ("Do you wish to enter?")

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 09:36

Add warnings to escape hatches ("Do you wish to enter?")

Downward escape hatches are almost never a good idea for the player to take, and can easily be catastrophic if taken accidentally (http://imgur.com/a/uhLQe). I therefore suggest that attempting to enter an escape hatch causes a prompt like when trying to enter the Abyss or Pan ("You cannot return through this hatch immediately. Are you sure you wish to enter?"). This is a simple quality of life improvement for the player which should take minimal effort to implement.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 10:00

Re: Add warnings to escape hatches ("Do you wish to enter?")

Hello my friend,

Try adding the following line to your rc file (settings\init.txt in your crawl directory):

warn_hatches = true

This will prompt a warning whenever you try to take an escape hatch (upward and downward).

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks:
ManMan

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 15:31

removeelyvilon wrote:Hello my friend,

Try adding the following line to your rc file (settings\init.txt in your crawl directory):

warn_hatches = true

This will prompt a warning whenever you try to take an escape hatch (upward and downward).

warn_hatches = true doesn't work very well, because autotravel tries to take paths across floors that include hatches and the rc setting doesn't distinguish between prompting for autotravel-selected hatches and manually selected hatches.

It ends up annoying you by breaking your travel with a spam message each time its chosen path includes a hatch whenever you later try to autotravel (between branches, to shops, or to floor items). It's fairly clear that whoever implemented warn_hatches never actually played with it on for long.

Ideally this setting would be patched, either to not trigger the prompt on autotravel-moves, or to change autotravel's behavior to no longer regard hatch paths as valid.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 17:22

Implojin wrote:change autotravel's behavior to no longer regard hatch paths as valid.

But the whole point is to take the fastest route.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 22:29

For the purpose of the OP, it would probably suffice if the game warned you the first time you try to take a certain hatch. Autotravel only uses hatches you've already used and you probably don't need the warning if you have already used the hatch.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 5
Cimanyd, dracos369, Lasty, Rast, ydeve

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 12th December 2016, 04:48

Implojin wrote:
removeelyvilon wrote:Hello my friend,

warn_hatches = true

warn_hatches = true doesn't work very well, because autotravel tries to take paths across floors that include hatches and the rc setting doesn't distinguish between prompting for autotravel-selected hatches and manually selected hatches.

It ends up annoying you by breaking your travel with a spam message each time its chosen path includes a hatch whenever you later try to autotravel (between branches, to shops, or to floor items). It's fairly clear that whoever implemented warn_hatches never actually played with it on for long.

Ideally this setting would be patched, either to not trigger the prompt on autotravel-moves, or to change autotravel's behavior to no longer regard hatch paths as valid.

Whoever implemented warn_hatches must have fixed this issue since I am not prompted when I walk over hatches or during auto-travel. This feature does exactly what I wanted, no more no less, so thank you removeelyvilon!

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 12th December 2016, 06:47

Is there any reason this option shouldn't be on by default, then?
remove Siegurt's signature

Return to Game Design Discussion