The monster looks as sick as possible!

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 17th November 2016, 19:19

The monster looks as sick as possible!

FR: limit the amount of poison that can be stacked onto a player.

OR

FR: allow players to stack poison onto monsters without limit.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 9
Cimanyd, dracos369, duvessa, Leszczynek, nago, runewalsh, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 17th November 2016, 20:10

Re: The monster looks as sick as possible!

Number 2 please. I don't understand why this isn't the case. It would make poison magic actually maybe not terrible too!

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
runewalsh

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 18th November 2016, 07:54

dowan wrote:Number 2 please. I don't understand why this isn't the case. It would make poison magic actually maybe not terrible too!

I think poison magic is unique in that it's the school that eventually drops off significantly earlier than any other school.

Crawl isn't a game about consistency, the effects of debuffs and buffs on monsters are vastly different from how they treat us as players. As much as I'd love for there to be a limit on player poison, it would reduce the potency of early game adders, which would be bad because the devs want us to die early, and die often.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 18th November 2016, 13:43

It is unique in that aspect, but I don't think that's actually a very worthwhile distinction.

Weapons of venom might become absurdly good if poison stacked without limits though...

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 18th November 2016, 18:21

In my opinion, weapon of venom is already absurdly good if your opponent isn't faster than you.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 18th November 2016, 19:06

Elitist wrote:In my opinion, weapon of venom is already absurdly good if your opponent isn't faster than you.

Or you have a reliable and reusable method of blinking.
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th November 2016, 22:51

I just think venom weapon's poison amount should be reduced, and perhaps the poison applied per hit should be a percentage of the damage done.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
dowan

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 14:12

Siegurt wrote:I just think venom weapon's poison amount should be reduced, and perhaps the poison applied per hit should be a percentage of the damage done.

Well that's a sensible idea. But I want my super easy early games when I find a dagger of venom! :P

Return to Game Design Discussion