Stopping Stairdancing

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 17th November 2016, 01:06

Stopping Stairdancing

This is a proposal to stop stairdancing; by stairdancing I mean a form of luring that exploits the fact that only enemies adjacent to the stairs will follow you when you go upstairs. This allows to break up groups with relative safety.

My proposal is to always generate a visible Zot trap near a descending stair.

Since the trap is visible, the player will avoid it. However, enemies stairdanced by the PC may step on it. This disincentives stairdancing without rendering escape impossible.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 17th November 2016, 08:43

Re: Stopping Stairdancing

Nah, better to just invoke Xom wrath every time player goes up/down stairs with anything adjacent.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th November 2016, 12:52

The easiest way to stop this kind of stairdancing is just to make it impossible to use stairs if something hostile is next to you. Invisible hostile monsters would also be applicable, but their location would not be shown (unless already shown).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 17th November 2016, 16:02

If you want to stop stairdancing, I guess you also have proposal that doubles player damage and triples survivability? And are willing to go through every single vault in the game to rebalance them?

Stairdancing is baked into the gameplay. You're better off making a whole new game than trying to stop it.

Return to Game Design Discussion