Add a line to @ to display regeneration rate

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 22:21

Add a line to @ to display regeneration rate

Add a line to the @ command to display your current regeneration rate, listed over 10 auts (I prefer 10 auts - if you want to call it a turn, that's okay too).

Current command:

You are alive. You repel missiles. Your movement speed is average.
Your attack speed is quite fast.

Requested command:

You are alive. You repel missiles. Your movement speed is average.
Your attack speed is quite fast.
Your regeneration rate is 1.34 per 10 auts.

Other formats of displaying it would be fine - 88 hp over 100 turns if you want to avoid the decimal, etc. You could phrase it as "you heal by" rather than "regeneration rate", etc. The value should include all forms of regeneration, from your base rate, equipment, mutations, spells, etc.

I'd prefer an actual number instead of "average", "fast", "very fast". I realize some people are opposed to numbers, and this could be a concern, but I don't think it'd cause any issues. It'd be helpful for players to realize why some characters are much harder to wear down over time, I think. I've always considered regeneration rate to be one of the more important properties of a character, and it's one that's very nearly hidden from the player at all times.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, Implojin, jwoodward48ss

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 23:06

Re: Add a line to @ to display regeneration rate

I feel like @ is a vestigial command. It would be better to add this to the % screen, which is sort of 'character statistics'.

How would you show slow regeneration levels 2 or 3?

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, Implojin

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 23:26

that would be quite weird considering items show it as "Regen+" or "Regen++++" (is that how many pluses Robe of Vine has?)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 02:01

True that @ is pretty uncommonly used, and I'd be fine with adding it to the character screen of course, I just figured I'd go with a "smaller" change.

As for slow regeneration 2 or 3, it's the same as all other cases - show what your current regeneration rate is. If you have slow regen 2 and there are no monsters in sight, you see your normal regen rate. If there is a monster in sight, it would show 0. The idea being that it always shows what your current rate is, with all modifiers included. If you are sick, it will also show zero. Optionally there could be an explanation shown if that's the case, but it isn't critical. Example text: Your regeneration rate is zero, due to sickness. Your regeneration rate is zero, due to slow healing and nearby monsters. Would be more work to handle all those cases, but if you want to...

I haven't checked robe of vines in the last version...I do remember when it was regen++++++++ for a while. Now that's certainly the kind of clarity that we've come to expect about our regen rates!

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 06:42

Yes please.

Playing a new version and rediscovering that regen still isn't visible on % continues to be mildly disappointing.

Regarding robe of vines, moon troll armour, stacked sources: Display something like [regen+5]?

Being number averse here doesn't make much sense. Interface clarity is not helped by throwing out rows of identical glyphs.

edit: Also:
chequers wrote:How would you show slow regeneration levels 2 or 3?

regen-
regen-2
<darkred>regen X</darkred>

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 14:52

For the record, I don't think @ is a vestigial command. Unlike %, it's not modality-shifting - it just prints some vital information at the bottom of the screen, instead of taking you to an entirely new screen. As a result, it's a lot quicker and less distracting/"flow-breaking" to use than %.

Still though, it could use a refresher. Perhaps it could give a summary of the info from % instead of the peculiar sentences it does now, like:

Attack delay: 7 aut | Move delay: 10 aut
Properties: rF++ rC+ rPois SInv Inacc
Regen rate: 1.4 HP/10 aut

If people are really *that* allergic to numbers, the ones here could be replaced with appropriate adjectives, but I don't think there's any need to print a full sentence. Also, I don't think there's any need to reprint current status effects - that's what status lights are for.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 15:45

I seem to remember Vines as regen7+.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 18:10

Robe of vines initially was 10 plusses, after getting nerfed, I adjusted the display to Regen+7, IIRC.

Return to Game Design Discussion