Mutate 'mutation' system

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 12th November 2016, 22:46

Mutate 'mutation' system

(pardon of my bad english. not my first lang)
hello guys again. mutation is always a big problem. there's so many issues here. So what i suggest is

A.We need to disguise 3 types of mutation into 'good', 'bad' and 'Neutral'
B.change values of beneficial, mutation, remove mutation potions.
C.change all of 3 stairs of mutation into 2 stairs.
>
let's talk about B first. beneficial mutation potion is WEAK. it just have a chance to gives you like +2str, stupid antennae, wild magic,etc.
but when you take bad mutation by glowing or demon's stare, it lowers your HP,twists your body,teleport at the enemy spot,slow regen,etc.
forthexomssake! it's so UNbalanced. good mutation is unremarkable, but bad mutes are game breaker.
but the worst value of item is remove mutation potion. if you somehow get awesome mutes(+10%HP) but corrupted by getting lethal mutations(*rantele), you should do quaff remove mutation potion as fast as you can.
but there's still other one of worst issue here when it comes to 'good' mutations.since RMP works random. what it means the value of 4good-1lethal mutation is same as 4bad-1lethal mutation. it has same chance(1/5) to remove lethal one. it doesn't look fair. the point is 'good mutation eventually changed into bad mutation'
before when amulet of mutation exist, it was not a big problem cuz you can make your own 'good setting' taking some mutes gamble and keep it with amulet.
BMP was much valuable in that time but now even quaff beneficial potion is questionable. it works at first-middle game, but at the late game you might eventually remove it by Yourself.
>
So, we have to make 3 classes of mutation. not impressive but sometimes works properly or negatively such as bodychange(horn,cloven,beak),wildmagic,and many types of skin fall into Neutral class. well skin is always nice but has less impact on the character's ability and for balance. If the game revamped in this way, the value of BMP increased naturally by getting rid of getting chance of Neutral mutes so far.
and this will also makes more easier to make concept of remove mutation potion. RMP should gaurantee to delete bad mutes, and have possibility to remove neutral and good ones. for example, remove one or two of low% of good mutation, half% of 1~3 neutral, 100% of 2~3 bad ones.
>
other things like mutation 'meat' could offer high chance of Neutrals, and glowing and demon's stare deals with bad and neutral which seems less 'lethal'
>
and, we have to compress 3-ranks of mutation into 2-ranks. since 1-rank of mutation is so weak can barely use in hand, and getting 3rank of specific mutation is almost impossible in the game. so moderates 1-rank mutation much stronger and 2-rank falls between power of 2and3.
for ex, 10-20-30%HP into 15-25%HP seems more fair.
but i have no idea with demonspawn. maybe gives him only 3-rank ?
thanks for reading.
Last edited by good451 on Sunday, 13th November 2016, 12:04, edited 3 times in total.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 02:11

Re: Mutate 'mutation' system

I would agree that 3 ranks for a random based thing with no control is a bit excessive. Perhaps good mutations should be heavily weighted towards improving good mutations you already have (i.e. 66+% of the time they improve an existing one instead of gaining a new one). On top of that upgrades for good mutations built in the species never fade.

What if the remove mutation potion attempted to remove bad mutations first? Or didn't target good mutations of rank 2+ (or was simply more common)

On the other hand I find mutation potions are kinda neat - tough i hate when they screw your character like dampen magic for a caster or a body deformity.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 08:54

Deso wrote:I would agree that 3 ranks for a random based thing with no control is a bit excessive. Perhaps good mutations should be heavily weighted towards improving good mutations you already have (i.e. 66+% of the time they improve an existing one instead of gaining a new one). On top of that upgrades for good mutations built in the species never fade.

What if the remove mutation potion attempted to remove bad mutations first? Or didn't target good mutations of rank 2+ (or was simply more common)

On the other hand I find mutation potions are kinda neat - tough i hate when they screw your character like dampen magic for a caster or a body deformity.

thanks for feedback sir.
the idea of 'Enhancing' is very good. 'potion of enhancer' could interesting. same rarity of Exp potion. you could find on ziggurat and rare chance on the normal floors.
and rarity of mutation potion is not remarkable. cheap and easy to find. but rather (even) strong than beneficial potion so far.
so.. what i suggest is gives more more rarity (hard to find) to mutation potion.
and it gives you 'set of mutation'
like, set of bodychange, 2-3mutations like 1-2rank horn, 1-2rank cloven feet (or beak etc)
or set of magic, wildoreasy magic, +-10MP%, +MR,etc. yeah, it looks more Funny and challangiable.
SUMMARY
1.Enhancing is good idea. (potion of enhancer or adding enhancing ability to BMP )
2.reward to 2rank+ of good mutation also seems fair.(cuz so low chance to build)
3.the point of potion of mutation is not 'XOM' but 'mutation'
this game is strategic game. it means, you can cover your bad luck with your strat. but yes, there's also part of gamble to get more good luck
but so far, potion of mutation works just same as xom's ability. gives you good-bad mutations with no reason but 'deadly' fun.
so, we should make more strategy into mutation potion! drink potion of mutation itself is still gamble but you could think twice!
thank you.
Last edited by good451 on Sunday, 13th November 2016, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 10:08

good415, I don't mean to be rude, but could you please type your posts in a more conventional way? Treating sentences like paragraphs makes your posts really hard to read.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
vergil

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 12:06

Sar wrote:good415, I don't mean to be rude, but could you please type your posts in a more conventional way? Treating sentences like paragraphs makes your posts really hard to read.

ok sir, I just fixed my paper right now on. a thousand pardon of my bad english man.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 12:12

From what I can make of the OP, it's basically saying "buff mutations plz, I wanna play mutation roulette for min/maxing without worshiping Jiyva". One specific detail being "I can haz !curemut that guarantees the worst mutation is removed, leaving my plethora of strictly-good muts alone?" Another being "I wanna have the pseudo-achievement of getting Robust 3. Gimme a potion that 'levels up' all my pre-existing muts."

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Rast

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 12:58

Psieye wrote:From what I can make of the OP, it's basically saying "buff mutations plz, I wanna play mutation roulette for min/maxing without worshiping Jiyva". One specific detail being "I can haz !curemut that guarantees the worst mutation is removed, leaving my plethora of strictly-good muts alone?" Another being "I wanna have the pseudo-achievement of getting Robust 3. Gimme a potion that 'levels up' all my pre-existing muts."

well im not crying about gimme good mutations. if it looks overpowered, than just adjusting higher chance of getting bad mutation, and lower chance of get rid of bad mutes, whatever you could think so. there's still creative ways i guess. and 'levels up' wasn't my original idea but looks positive. well yes, it will break the game.than just don't put in the game, why not? suggest idea doesn't hurt.
and i forgot about jiyva, that's also issue. than just leave remove potion in the same way? what you think?
and pls, i don't care about ro-boo-boo-st 3. i don't even try any mutations. it's worthless. high-risk little-reward doesn't appealing at all
i'm suggesting neutral mutation for balance not OP.
any good ideas?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 19:40

If it will break the game, then why'd you suggest it?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 12:18

jwoodward48ss wrote:If it will break the game, then why'd you suggest it?

my gosh. why guys thinking like i wanna buff mutes stuffs? no i just 'replied' enhancer could be good idea, not 'suggested'. so critical :P

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 13:32

good451 wrote:why guys thinking

People often blame their "bad English skills", but in my opinion that's missing the point. What they lack is "skill at communicating, independent of what language is used". Where 'communicating' includes 'predicting how I will get interpreted', i.e. 'understanding the social environment'. Don't feel bad, plenty of "English as first language" people find this hard.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 14:47

just a quick note: potions of benemut being "only" useful to give you a boost in the early game and evaporating because of other factors by the end is not really an issue, there are plenty of things in crawl that are only good for a limited time

if it gives you a bump when your character is less self-sufficient and falls away when your character becomes more self-sufficient it does its job by making you safer in a more vulnerable phase of the game

Return to Game Design Discussion