Impossible Situation with Shining One and Confusion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2016, 18:10

Impossible Situation with Shining One and Confusion

So I was in the Labirynth and I turned the corner and I see the Minatour. I drink my potions and request Shield from the Shining One and while slaying the Minatour happily and easily he casts a Mephitic Cloud from the a Rod of Clouds and we BOTH get confused. Now I am cornered, and I cannot read scrolls because of confusion and cannot even move around because I will get penance because of it but he IS hitting me. So I foolishly tried to wait a couple of turns for confusion get away but he hit me hard and I died.

Now I know I could probably get out of that situation and take the penance and it's not completely "impossible", but I still think it was a bit harsh of a situation where the enemy tried to confuse me but confuse itself but I cannot hit it in TSO's rules even though I'm dying there. I wanted to ask if others find this unjust and if anything can be done about this.

TL;DR Minatour corners me and casts a cloud which confuses both of us, I cannot hit him because The Shining One will get mad, while he hits me to death. What do?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2016, 18:16

Re: Impossible Situation with Shining One and Confusion

FR: Make TSO hate it when you cause confusion, but allow hitting the confused if you are not the cause.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2016, 18:25

Shtopit wrote:FR: Make TSO hate it when you cause confusion, but allow hitting the confused if you are not the cause.

Right now, if I understand correctly, TSO doesn't mind when you hex someone and run away. Why should this be changed to solve a different problem? Why not have TSO stop you from performing the forbidden attack, similar to how you can't walk into deep water/lava while confused?
remove Siegurt's signature

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2016, 18:50

I think the best solution will be to disable the god conduct while you are confused so you can do whatever without penance (even shooting poison needles if you want). Also the same exception should be applied to allies, I am speaking it as a person who died to Bone Dragon in Spider as Mummy of Yred. IMHO it is easy from flavor point of view - you are confused so you are not fully aware of what you are doing.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th November 2016, 00:10

Can that be exploited somehow? Quaff ambrosia and start shooting curare or confusion needles? Confusion is somewhat less dangerous than it was before.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th November 2016, 00:25

You'd be shooting needles in random directions so that sounds pretty terrible

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, Rast

Return to Game Design Discussion