Make cursed equipment appear as glowing or enchanted

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 23:44

Make cursed equipment appear as glowing or enchanted

While I'm personally a proponent of curses being removed entirely (aside from Ashe), it seems like it does sometimes create an interesting risk/reward dynamic when you find potentially good equipment in the early game while lacking remove curse scrolls.

Except it's not just potentially good equipment that can be cursed. It's literally every equippable item in the entire game, even ones that appear to have no magical properties whatsoever. That's not not a risk/reward trade off, that's "you basically might just get randomly screwed over for ever trying to change your equipment," which doesn't seem desirable to me. The risk/reward that curses create is only interesting if there is a safe option. Deciding whether you should take the risk and equip the glowing, potentially cursed weapon or use the safe plain one is a potentially interesting choice. Feeling like you shouldn't ever equip anything ever if you don't have remove curse scrolls is not. The player should be able to safely equip a plain, unenchanted sling or long sword or whatever without worrying about being randomly screwed over.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 01:30

Re: Make cursed equipment appear as glowing or enchanted

I disagree. You already have a safe option - continue using what you are using (or have empty slot). You are suggesting a buff for all characters who find early lajatang, halberd, eveningstar etc.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 01:36

That's a very boring safe option, though. "Use only your starting gear or risk getting stuck with something cursed" is much more interesting than "use only non-magic gear or risk getting stuck with something cursed."

I'll also throw in a "tedium" argument: If you find a ranged weapon you're interested in possibly using and have a remove cursed scroll, it's currently optimal to immediately equip it just in case it's cursed, which is a bit annoying and unintuitive in my opinion.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 01:38

Personally I like getting stuck with -2 weapon when I am a caster who found a dagger as first weapon.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 18:49

Somewhat relevant question Felid: how do you play Arcane Marksman? You start with only 20 bolts, no damaging spells, and not even a knife. Trying to wield something from the floor means potentially locking yourself out of your launcher. Are you supposed to box things to death?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 21:40

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Personally I like getting stuck with -2 weapon when I am a caster who found a dagger as first weapon.

Yeah, but that's not the worst-case scenario. The worst-case scenario is what Doesnt mention, starting as an AM and wanting a melee weapon, or starting as a hunter/assassin (or possibly even artificer) and wanting a non-shortblades weapon.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 21:46

What if we just did curse reform?

Idea: Removing a cursed weapon has a 50-50 chance of giving you a strategic or a tactical debuff. Strategic debuffs include draining, statrot, contamination, etc. Tactical debuffs include being slowed, corroded, confused, etc.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 21:58

Doesnt wrote:Somewhat relevant question Felid: how do you play Arcane Marksman? You start with only 20 bolts, no damaging spells, and not even a knife. Trying to wield something from the floor means potentially locking yourself out of your launcher. Are you supposed to box things to death?

I pick first weapon. If it is cursed, then I train its category and forget about ranged for a while.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 02:55

Quazifuji wrote:That's a very boring safe option, though. "Use only your starting gear or risk getting stuck with something cursed" is much more interesting than "use only non-magic gear or risk getting stuck with something cursed."

"Finding loot you can use on the first five floors of the dungeon " is more interesting than "pretend loot doesn't exist until you've identified ?RC".

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, Quazifuji

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 20:56

This is something I've been hoping to see implemented for a long time. It'd be nice, and IMO not particularly detrimental to the game's overall difficulty or strategy, to just axe curses, but barring that this would be an improvement.

Curses are meaningless beyond the very early game, say, by the time you reach Lair. The vast majority of characters will never have a shortage of curse removal at that point. So this mechanic of every single item, glowing, enchanted, or not, being potentially -2 or more and cursed is just another early dungeon annoyance. Actually treating every item as potentially cursed and therefore not using any of them until a certain arbitrary scroll is found is, as has already been noted, boring and silly. I certainly don't do it. What does it add to the game?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 21:14

Blomdor wrote:Actually treating every item as potentially cursed and therefore not using any of them until a certain arbitrary scroll is found is, as has already been noted, boring and silly. I certainly don't do it. What does it add to the game?

Actually treating every item as potentially cursed is the whole point of curses. Otherwise just remove curses completely.
Personally I switched to equipping first weapon/ring/amulet as soon as possible, it is fun to be stuck with inaccuracy, teleportation and negative protection and still survive (happened to me recently).
We should enjoy it while it lasts, I believe curses and identification will be changed soon.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Sprucery

Return to Game Design Discussion