cut the "beware its halloween tonight" message

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 00:16

cut the "beware its halloween tonight" message

so i'm not quite sure how this works, but i made a game on the 31st of october, and the game printed a message akin to "be careful! it's halloween!". normally i'd just chalk this up to some fun goof-ballery but let's not forget that our video-game grandpappy Nethack actually would subtly change several things in the game if you were playing on a new (full?) moon, and would warn you in such a similar message. i think this message creates a weird impression for someone who knows nethack, and should be cut for this reason.

counter proposal: on halloween monsters get fun names like "jackogoblin" or "pumpkin fiend" and their tile gets changed and stuff.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, ydeve

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 10:01

Re: cut the "beware its halloween tonight" message

Arrhythmia wrote:normally i'd just chalk this up to some fun goof-ballery but let's not forget that our video-game grandpappy Nethack actually would subtly change several things in the game if you were playing on a new (full?) moon, and would warn you in such a similar message.

It briefly did exactly such NetHack-y things in Crawl too. The messaging is also a direct NetHack reference ("Be careful! New moon tonight."). Currently it just gives tiles ghosts pumpkin heads on top of the welcome message, I think.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 12:43

Arrhythmia wrote:counter proposal: on halloween monsters get fun names like "jackogoblin" or "pumpkin fiend" and their tile gets changed and stuff.

And make every tile a bloody tile. DAY OF ALL THE BLOOD.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 12:47

lethediver wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:counter proposal: on halloween monsters get fun names like "jackogoblin" or "pumpkin fiend" and their tile gets changed and stuff.

And make every tile a bloody tile. DAY OF ALL THE BLOOD.

That should be based on the moon phase, I think.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Game Design Discussion