zin & blurry vision & ru

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 04:27

zin & blurry vision & ru

i think recite should be affect by blurry vision because why the hell not? its not like the player joins zin and three piety in has the entire good book memorized, you gotta read that shit out loud from print. besides its not like you`re gonna have that mutation for long.

extra credit: code that up first, and then move on to ru devaluing sacrifice words if the player has blurry vision. suckers!
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 05:14

Re: zin & blurry vision & ru

twelwe wrote:i think recite should be affect by blurry vision because why the hell not?

Because it's a weird, spoilery interaction that doesn't improve gameplay in any way, and might make it worse.

its not like the player joins zin and three piety in has the entire good book memorized, you gotta read that shit out loud from print.

"Recite" means to do something from memory. If you're reading the book from print and not memory, then by definition, you're not reciting. So given the ability's name, I think we can safely assume that the player has the book, or at least the passage being recited, memorized when using the recite ability.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 05:31

thanks for the dictionary.com reply, but memorized repetition is not the only thing recite can mean. god that sounds smart when i recite (read outloud) it
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, chequers, Hellmonk, scorpionwarrior, ydeve

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 12:20

maybe they spend the first 2* reading the book and memorising it

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 12:27

No, sorry, that's not what "recite" means, twelwe. To recite poetry is to read it aloud from memory.

Edit: And what in the name of the evil gods does Ru have to do with... anything?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 13:53

jwoodward48ss wrote:No, sorry, that's not what "recite" means, twelwe. To recite poetry is to read it aloud from memory.

Edit: And what in the name of the evil gods does Ru have to do with... anything?

Right, otherwise you wouldn't be able to recite if Darkness effect was turned on.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 18:04

twelwe wrote:thanks for the dictionary.com reply, but memorized repetition is not the only thing recite can mean. god that sounds smart when i recite (read outloud) it

I'm a native English speaker and I don't think I've ever heard recite used to mean anything else. What else can it mean?

Either way, even if recite doesn't have to mean something is done from memory, it usually does, and that still counters your argument that the character won't have memorized it at first. You're also arguing that they only don't have it memorized right away. So does that mean it should stop being affected by blurry vision by the time you're at 6* piety?

Either way, you haven't responded to my first point: why do you want to add an extra rarely relevant, extremely spoilery interaction to the game? We usually try to remove those sorts of things around here, not add them.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 19:00

Quazifuji wrote:
twelwe wrote:thanks for the dictionary.com reply, but memorized repetition is not the only thing recite can mean. god that sounds smart when i recite (read outloud) it

I'm a native English speaker and I don't think I've ever heard recite used to mean anything else. What else can it mean?

Either way, even if recite doesn't have to mean something is done from memory, it usually does, and that still counters your argument that the character won't have memorized it at first. You're also arguing that they only don't have it memorized right away. So does that mean it should stop being affected by blurry vision by the time you're at 6* piety?

Either way, you haven't responded to my first point: why do you want to add an extra rarely relevant, extremely spoilery interaction to the game? We usually try to remove those sorts of things around here, not add them.

I hope you know who it is you're trying to have a discussion with?
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 19:38

Lacuenta wrote:I hope you know who it is you're trying to have a discussion with?

Apparently not?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 20:02

twelwe is not serious

Return to Game Design Discussion