The council god is now playable! (Offline). Testers welcome.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 20:07

The council god is now playable! (Offline). Testers welcome.

Hey everyone,

You might have seen, or been involved in last month's discussion about Ieoh Jian Council, AKA the council god. It's an idea I had been brewing for a while (I posted the first draft on this forum three years ago) and this time the feedback has been mostly positive and constructive. I took all of the feedback that I could, mainly towards simplifying and streamlining the changes, and started working on it.

I'm happy to say that it is now playable offline! It's still missing graphics and penance, but other than that it's a complete implementation. I've talked to some people about setting up an experimental branch, but since it's tournament time things are pretty busy right now so that will have to wait until the 20th. That said, I would really appreciate feedback from anyone who liked the mechanics discussed in the thread or is generally intrigued by the god.

If you want to play it, you can grab the branch from my github repo. It's mostly up to date with 0.19 plus the god changes; follow the installation instructions from the readme and you should be set.

Here's a brief description of the god's abilities. You can look at the pull request for more details on the mechanics:

Piety level (-)
"Young Dog"
  • Substantially increases the effects of crosstraining. All weapon types + Unarmed Combat crosstrain at 80% rate.
  • Hitting enemies in melee materializes weapons, as if they were affected by a weaker Tukima's dance. Walking into them allows you to equip them immediately, leaving your current weapon behind. The animated weapons start disappearing almost as soon as you stop engaging in melee combat.
Piety level (*) "Young Crane"
  • Project Weapon: (Active, 3 MP, small hunger): If you have a weapon equipped, you project it to an enemy or a target tile, dealing damage and animating the weapon at the target location.
  • Recall Weapon: (Active, 1 MP, small hunger): You choose an animated weapon and recall it to your hand nearly instantly (1 AUT). If you had another weapon equipped, it's animated beside you.
Piety level (**) "Young Tiger"
  • You gain the ability to perform acrobatic attacks when moving, depending on the weapon base type. Inspecting any melee weapon will tell you what maneuver you can do with it.
    • Long Blades and Maces/Flails gain Whirlwind: When moving from a space adjacent to a monster to another space adjacent to it, the monster is hit for the weapon's base damage.
    • Short Blades and Axes gain Lunge: When moving directly towards a monster, you perform a powerful lunging attack, hitting for 1.2 times weapon damage. This attack retains all properties of short blade stabbing and axe cleaving.
    • Staves and Polearms gain Pole Vault: When moving directly into a wall or solid obstacle, you vault two spaces in the opposite direction, hitting all enemies around your landing spot. Can't be used if the landing spot is occupied.
Piety level (***) "Red Sash"
  • Afterimage: Equipping an animated weapon by grabbing it from the air grants a powerful but very short EV and MR boost.
Piety level (****) "Golden Sash" - No new abilities
Piety level (*****) "Red Dragon"
  • Pressure Points: Your acrobatic attacks get a chance to inflict slowness and paralysis.
Piety level (******) "Golden Dragon"
  • Steel Dragonfly Technique: (food, 6 MP, piety, active) Projects all animated weapons towards a single monster, dealing substantially increased damage. Enemies have a chance to be internally liquified and explode, specially if they were slowed or paralysed. All weapons except those owned by you will be despawned after using this ability.
Last edited by Steel Neuron on Monday, 7th November 2016, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Steel Neuron has received thanks: 3
chequers, Ge0ff, Lasty

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 21:43

Re: The council god is now playable! (Offline). Testers welc

I've had issues with DC:SS compilation; could somebody .zip (or .7z) this up and upload it? (As long as it isn't too much of a hassle.)
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 22:20

Will just the binary do? :)
Attachments
crawl.7z
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 14:07

Bump to let you guys now the god has an altar tile now (It's quite shitty but it will do for the time being) and a lot of balance changes.

Has anyone gotten around to playing it yet? I'm having a lot of fun but I can foresee issues with balance, so the help of a tester with an eye for numbers would be very welcome :).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 15:44

It's tournament season right now, which incentivises people to play nothing but vanilla 0.19 until that's over.

For me personally, RL is not giving me any time for anything but a few quick posts.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, Steel Neuron

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 17:03

Yup, tournament time right now. Hopefully your branch will be hosted online somewhere, but if not I'll compile and test myself.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
Steel Neuron

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 20:08

Sorry guys, I'm sort of disconnected from the tournament and keep forgetting about it. No rush, I don't want to be pushy!

I might be a bit uninformed when it comes to the tournament... I always assumed it was only for the best players with high win rates, but hearing people talk about it lately makes it seem like it is for everyone and probably quite fun. What do I have to do to join? I've never used webtiles (always played offline).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 20:27

http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

Doesn't even have to be webtiles, just SSH in and play ASCII console style. You are automatically entered for playing on a public server. Previous tournament results, note the fraction of "players who won at least once in these 2 weeks" is less than 20%.

Return to Game Design Discussion