Tie spell effects to the caster

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 23:45

Tie spell effects to the caster

At present, status effects inflicted by an enemy spellcaster have a set duration. This makes it optimal to retreat and/or wait until the effect wears off - or even to reset a battle. If you're Marked, for example, it's optimal to retreat to a cleared floor; if you're afflicted with slow, or corrosion, for example, you don't want to risk another fight before it wears off. For effects like confusion, you're actually forced to either wait it out or pop a potion before you can move on.

I suggest that status effects inflicted by a monster should end early if the caster dies, in the same manner that the Vault Warden's "Seal Doors" ability does.

Pros:
- Eliminates tedious optimal behavior
- Offers additional tactical dimension to combat
- Decreases motivation to reset fights
- Makes status spells consistent with other persistent spell types - summoning spells, and terrain-affecting spells (e.g. Call Tide, Seal Doors)

Cons:
- May reduce difficulty of some battles more than intended, especially when it comes to casters that come with a pack
- May make players safer than intended, because potentially dangerous effects can disappear faster after a battle
- May be a serious programming hassle, especially if you have multiple casters or sources layering on the same effect

Thoughts?

For this message the author Aean has received thanks: 2
DracheReborn, Quazifuji

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 23:50

Re: Tie spell effects to the caster

I think the main challenge of this could be indicating what effects are tied to what enemy to the player.

Also, would this apply to corrosion? You imply that it would, and I'd be in favor of it (since it has the same issue of encouraging fight resets), but it's technically not a spell effect.

Return to Game Design Discussion