Rename Medium Shields

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 00:40

Rename Medium Shields

It's awkward that there's a category of item ("shields") that is also the name of a specific item in that category ("shields"). It makes it awkward to refer to the specific item, since depending on the context sometimes you have to add an adjective to clarify. For example, when giving advice, statements like "I'd recommend using a shield" or "I don't think a shield would be worth the skill investment" are potentially ambiguous.

I'd say change the name of the item to make things easier. Offhand, I'd suggest "kite shield" since that's what the tile looks like.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 5
Brannock, Cimanyd, dracos369, VeryAngryFelid, WingedEspeon

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 00:46

Re: Rename Medium Shields

Alternatively rename shield to medium shield and rename buckler to small shield.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 00:54

renames:
buckler -> buckler
shield -> kite shield
large shield -> removed shield

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Cheibrodos, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 02:43

don't remove large shields I need them for my ants

I remember there was murmurs of changing shields to "targes", but I am way more in favor of making them kite shields.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 03:59

Yes, let's give all three shield types obscure names so that nobody except a military historian will know which is which without checking the stats ingame.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 04:22

Rast wrote:Yes, let's give all three shield types obscure names so that nobody except a military historian will know which is which without checking the stats ingame.

Erudition is a good quality to instill.

For this message the author Brannock has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 04:53

Rast wrote:Yes, let's give all three shield types obscure names so that nobody except a military historian will know which is which without checking the stats ingame.

+1
I had hard time looking for fub.. whatever. It was much better as great sling as I could just search for "great sling" instead of "sling" and checking if there are some "non-hunting" slings there.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 05:19

For flavorful names, I'd go with "tower shields" for large shields (I considered suggesting this in the OP but decided to just stick to one topic).

"Small Shields", "Medium Shields", and "Large Shields" would work, although for every other type of equipment the game has flavorful names so it's not exactly unprecedented to do something similar with shields. At least if you're familiar with the terms the order is pretty obvious, and even if you're not it's not hard to figure out that a tower shield is big. Much easier than figuring out Bardiche > Glaive > Halberd or Broad Axe > War Axe, for example, at least in my opinion.

Also, if you play in tiles, then the pictures make it very easy to tell which ones are bigger.

So overall, "Buckler", "Kite Shield", "Tower Shield" is my personal vote, but I wouldn't be too bothered by just "Small", "Medium", and "Large". I think either of those options is better than mixing the two, but anything where "shield" gets a real name is an improvement.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 7
Doesnt, dracos369, duvessa, nago, Seven Deadly Sins, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 07:13

duvessa wrote:large shield -> removed shield

large shield -> door

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
Reptisaurus

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 11:28

ololoev wrote:
duvessa wrote:large shield -> removed shield

large shield -> door

The door glows purple and changes!
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 19:19

Does this argument also apply to maces and flails, or is the difference between maces, flails, and Maces & Flails enough distinction?

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 21:44

Lasty wrote:Does this argument also apply to maces and flails, or is the difference between maces, flails, and Maces & Flails enough distinction?

I think it's less of an issue with Maces & Flails because those are the lowest level, while the kite shield is in the middle. I would say more but don't want to pull this thread too far off track.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 23:23

Now that I think of it, it's kind of silly that a battle axe is a bigger weapon than a war axe.

Lasty wrote:Does this argument also apply to maces and flails, or is the difference between maces, flails, and Maces & Flails enough distinction?

In theory I think it does, but in practice it's rarely been a problem for me, while the issue with "shields" has come up a lot when trying to discuss defensive equipment.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 00:14

To be fair, DCSS nomenclature follows some RPG conventions that have nothing to do with reality. So the longsword here isn't a longsword IRL, and there was no difference between war axe and battle axe, since the naming was only used to distinguish these axes meant for combat from those meant for wood and such. With axes I'd just go with hatchet, axe, war axe, two handed axe, executioner's axe, because this way the progression is easier to learn. The tiles help a lot here however.

Having a medium shield looks like the simplest solution. Of course, the question is whether the problem exists; it's actually the only category where I haven't had any such problems while learning the game. I don't think it's worth go looking for historic names, they would just make the meaning opaque and defy the purpose of a name change. Also, cognitive load.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 02:22

Add way more shields!

Smaller Shield
Buckler
Targe
Small Shield
Shield
Medium Shield
Normal Shield
Kite Shield
Big Shield
Large Shield
Bigger Shield
Biggest Shield
Tower Shield
Biggerest Shield

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 03:44

There's no way we'd accept that patch. Not without triple shields.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, dracos369, edgefigaro, Sar, scorpionwarrior, vergil

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 06:40

Shtopit wrote:I don't think it's worth go looking for historic names, they would just make the meaning opaque and defy the purpose of a name change. Also, cognitive load.

Is it cognitive load to have a "boggart" instead of a "monster replicator"?

For this message the author Brannock has received thanks:
dracos369

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 06:52

IMO it has less of the ambiguity that Quazifuji identifies because people almost always say "M&F" when they mean the skill.

Of course personally I usually say "regular shield" to refer to the item so I guess the proposal just formalises this.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 07:08

edgefigaro wrote:Add way more shields!

Smallerest Shield
Buckler
Targe
Small Shield
Shield
Medium Shield
Normal Shield
Kite Shield
Double Shield
Large Shield
Bigger Shield
Triple Shield
Tower Shield
Quadruple Shield
Portable Wall

Ftfy
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
edgefigaro, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 10:05

Brannock wrote:
Shtopit wrote:I don't think it's worth go looking for historic names, they would just make the meaning opaque and defy the purpose of a name change. Also, cognitive load.

Is it cognitive load to have a "boggart" instead of a "monster replicator"?

In this game apparently not, because, otherwise, mummies would be called Cursodeath and the Enchantress would be called Killme4loot. But I wouldn't call a medium shield a targe or hoplon any more than I'd call a longsword an arming sword or a falchion a machaira or seax.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 15:09

Falchion is already a historically accurate name

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 09:42

DracheReborn wrote:Of course personally I usually say "regular shield" to refer to the item so I guess the proposal just formalises this.

That's pretty much the idea, yeah. It's easy enough to say "regular shield" or "medium shield" when I'm trying to refer to the item, but overall it just seems like it would be nice for the item to have its own name so that it can be completely clear and official that "shield" refers to the category and not the individual item. It's not a necessary change, just one where I don't see the downside.

Shtopit wrote:To be fair, DCSS nomenclature follows some RPG conventions that have nothing to do with reality.

This is true, but not necessarily a bad thing, since I suspect the average DCSS player is far more familiar with RPG weapon terminology than actual authentic medieval weapon terminology. This is also why the "military historian" argument is silly. I don't know about bucklers, kite shields, and tower shields because I've studied medieval war equipment, I know about them because I've played a lot of RPGs, and I imagine that's a pretty common trait among DCSS players.

That's not to say that we should just assume all players have extensive fantasy RPG experience, just that these terms aren't nearly as esoteric among DCSS's primary audience as some people seem to think they are.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
dracos369

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 10:07

Another problem is DCSS's not anglophone audience. At least for weapons, I don't think it's worth making everybody's life difficult by giving unusual names to usual items. Rare items are a different story.

I have seen kite shields proposed as medium shield, but kite shields were often huge, so the clarity of the term depends on what games you have played or which books you have read.

Shard1697 wrote:Falchion is already a historically accurate name

As is shield, after all.

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 18:31

Yes. Personally I don't think it's much of a problem for the normal sized shields to be called "shields", and I doubt anyone has been seriously confused by it. I like kite shield/tower shield as names, however.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 13:54

When I was a new player, I recall there being some confusion between a shield, the shield skill and shield value (SH) when reading the wiki. That might have been due to bad links, but it was there.

I also recall not being sure if ctrl-f'in for 'mace' in-game was only showing maces because they were the only m&fs to generate or because it didn't search for the whole class.

For both it'd be nice to easily know if you are searching for the class or the specific item, like long blade vs. long sword.

Return to Game Design Discussion