Two more songs

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 13:35

Two more songs

I like song of slaying but unfortunately it does nothing for casters so here are 2 more songs, you can have just one of 3 songs active at a time.
Song of Magic - you get MP for every kill, similar to Vehumet's passive (stacks with it), good for blaster casters
Song of Health - you get HP for every kill, similar to Makhleb's passive (stacks with it), good for summoners/necromancers
I think it can be useful to cast different spells in different situations: Health vs popcorn when you are wounded, Slaying/Magic when you are fighting packs of dangerous monsters
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 14:03

Re: Two more songs

Song of Health could replace Regeneration (and get the Necromancy component).

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Barkeep

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 14:40

The songs almost start to sound like a god, honestly.

I think it's come up before, but charms-like abilities being divine powers would be one other way to approach effects that are problematic in a spell school, much like Ash ultimately took up the mantle of a bunch of Divinations.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 14:47

njvack wrote:The songs almost start to sound like a god, honestly.

I think it's come up before, but charms-like abilities being divine powers would be one other way to approach effects that are problematic in a spell school, much like Ash ultimately took up the mantle of a bunch of Divinations.

I wouldn't like to replace spells with gods, having ability to combine both can lead to more variety in gameplay. Song of slaying is great with Qazlal and not that great with Chei, for example.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 17:39

Song of Speed to replace haste: each time you kill at least 1 monster in a turn your speed increases by 5%, up to a maximum of +50%.

Edit: In fact, make all buff spells work like songs, ie they start off inactive and their effect ramps up based on kills.

2nd edit: actually that's a bad idea but my initial suggestion stands.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Friday, 14th October 2016, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 17:54

If you did that, charms would only be useful to characters who can already kill stuff without them, rather than something to help you be good enough to kill stuff.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 18:01

dowan wrote:If you did that, charms would only be useful to characters who can already kill stuff without them, rather than something to help you be good enough to kill stuff.

Actually, my thought was that it would make charms good for fighting groups but bad vs 1 big monster. But I can see it leading to all kinds of silly luring shennanigans, eg leading groups of weak monsters around so you can fight them to build up charms when you see a strong monster.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 14th October 2016, 20:26

Well song of slaying has, or had, some kind of special logic where its effect would only tick up so high for weak monsters, and you needed to kill stronger monsters to get a bigger effect. I'm not sure that was actually considered successful, but at least shows you can prevent players from having some rats or something following them around to build up buffs.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 15th October 2016, 00:10

alternate suggestion: "Amulet of the War/Wisdom/Valor Hymn," which replaces Song of Slaying, as well as "regen and "mana regen. The noise is proportional to how much health/mana needs to be regenerated / how much slaying you've got, and you continue singing for ~50 turns after removing it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th October 2016, 00:13

I think it is more interesting to make player use different spells in different situations. It is not fun to retreat for changing an amulet.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Sar

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 15th October 2016, 01:25

I'll grant you this, the "song" model for charms would at least prevent stacking, which is one of my main problems with charms. I still prefer them as amulets -- I'll stand by charms-as-equipment as the best solution, even despite smart ideas from people like Implojin -- but this is at least a better way to handle awful spells like regen.

Song of mana regen in particular seems like a cool way toward replacing |energy, which is still terrible.

Return to Game Design Discussion