Make "picking up" corpses butcher them

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 04:13

Make "picking up" corpses butcher them

Make picking up corpses with , or autopickup butcher them and then grab the chunks.

This way we don't need a key just for butchering. I see this as a change similar to using altars with < > instead of p.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Leszczynek, luckless, Rast, tedric, ydeve

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 20:11

Re: Make "picking up" corpses butcher them

I like the warning for butchering because it makes me reconsider it in case I wanted to use it for Corpse Rot. Otherwise, this is a welcomed change.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 04:32

Why not just remove corpse rot? I can't seem to find a use for it (but that doesn't mean no one has).
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 06:56

Midn8 wrote:Why not just remove corpse rot? I can't seem to find a use for it (but that doesn't mean no one has).

It's a really good spell, just a bit annoying to use. Miasma clouds are quite effective.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 09:24

Sprucery wrote:
Midn8 wrote:Why not just remove corpse rot? I can't seem to find a use for it (but that doesn't mean no one has).

It's a really good spell, just a bit annoying to use. Miasma clouds are quite effective.

Maybe reform corpse rot?
You cast it in he way you use confusing touch: it become a timed status that breaks when you kill a corpse-capable enemy and releases several clouds of miasma. I don't know where should this clouds be put - around the player or in a meph-cloud style around the killed creature (shouldn't affect player tile). This would be a buff and a nerf since you get more clouds, but should kill a creature in battle first (instead of luring enemies to a previous battlefield). Also random clouds can break escape paths.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 20:49

alternatively, there's always the proposal (made not too long ago, I forget where) in which (edible?) corpse-leaving enemies drop chunks automatically when killed, which could then be automatically picked up as normal.

that would save even more hassle, with the sole cost (which is imo smallish and at any rate easily adjusted for) of letting necromancers animate the occasional corpse they would otherwise eat.

Return to Game Design Discussion