Why was 'P'rayer removed?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 10:18

Why was 'P'rayer removed?

Yes, with Fedhas' decomposition changed automatic, 'P' button is useless to play.

But it can give some fun by showing god's response(especially Xom and Gozag)?

and I would love the phrase 'You contemplated a meaning of unlife for a moment' when you tap P, while playing undead.

Prayer made into useless and harmless, but has some its own fun things, then why was it ought to be removed?
Korean DCSS player. Want to share the opinions of Korean users with western players, thanks.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/kimnosuk.html

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 10:39

Re: Why was 'P'rayer removed?

Praying to sacrifice corpses has slowly been removed from the game since I started playing, since it was a tedious and time-consuming optimal thing to do. Fedhas was the only god that made sacrificing into an interesting ability, so it stuck around, but having a button that is only used for one god ability and otherwise just gets used once a game is silly.

It's unfortunate that we lost some cute messages, but it frees up "p" for some other use, which could be very helpful.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 10:44

So long as Fedhasites keep the ability to turn zombies into skeletons at will, I'm happy.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 11:15

Because it was a bad game design.

For this message the author BabyRage has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 11:22

Pretty not great to have one button that only does one thing when other buttons that are already used elsewhere(stairs, shops) could be used again.

It's a large burden to new players to have to memorize all the different buttons, lowering that barrier to entry is a very good thing. And speaking for myself I don't think I ever pressed 'p' for any reason other than worshipping a god at altar, or back when corpse sacrifice existed(so glad it doesn't anymore) for saccing corpses... the god piety messages mostly seem very uninteresting.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 11:44

kimnosuk wrote:Yes, with Fedhas' decomposition changed automatic, 'P' button is useless to play.
But it can give some fun by showing god's response(especially Xom and Gozag)?
and I would love the phrase 'You contemplated a meaning of unlife for a moment' when you tap P, while playing undead.
Prayer made into useless and harmless, but has some its own fun things, then why was it ought to be removed?
Yes, this is one of those changes where the mechanics improve, but flavour and humour gets lost.

This is always a bit sad, but then I encourage people to think about how flavour has been added to the game. (The loss is a lot more noticeable than the gain, that's why I suggest this.)

Return to Game Design Discussion