Color-Coded Monster List for Tiles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 24th September 2016, 23:18

Color-Coded Monster List for Tiles

Community aspects aside, the Monster List HUD in WebTiles is easily the best thing about playing online.

It is extremely handy to have a visual shorthand for how dangerous every monster in your LOS is. It also greatly cuts down on the tedium of examining monsters to get their danger rating. I honestly find playing offline kind of painful now just because of this one UI omission.

I enjoy the displayed monster names in webtiles, but even adding a colored mark or something that denotes the danger level of a monster to the existing Tiles monster list would be an immediate improvement.
Wins: MuSu of Sif, DDFi of Mak

For this message the author 8bitsdeep has received thanks:
BabyRage

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 9th October 2016, 15:31

Re: Color-Coded Monster List for Tiles

So, thanks to hurricane Matthew, I found myself forced to play offline again yesterday. While forlornly combing through the options txt, I noticed the "tile_show_demon_tier" option for the first time.

demontier.png
demontier.png (43.5 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

I didn't even know demons had tiers and I'm not sure why that's important. Regardless, using this same system but for danger ratings would be a great alternative to changing the monster list for offline tiles, if that's preferable for some reason. I'd be happy to pixel up the icons for it if needed. I imagine them as just smaller versions of the 'Detected Monster outside of LOS' icons.
Wins: MuSu of Sif, DDFi of Mak

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 9th October 2016, 15:38

Re: Color-Coded Monster List for Tiles

8bitsdeep: In console, demons populate the letters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 -- these are the tiers (with 5 demons the easiest, such as crimson imps, and 1 the hardest, such as executioners). I guess these tiers are not really needed to play the game and, if my memory serves right (only from reading commit messages, I never played tiles), then the tier used to indicated on tiles and then was removed, i.e. turned into an option. Kudos to the artist for coming up with the partially coloured pentagram -- very cool!

Re: local tiles vs webtiles: It's unfortunate that we have two tiles versions with, as I hear, different advantages. No idea what the plans are for merging them, if any. Perhaps someone can chime in.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
8bitsdeep, xbon

Return to Game Design Discussion