Zin no longer blocks Lignification/BenMut Potions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 17th October 2016, 20:20

Zin no longer blocks Lignification/BenMut Potions

As it stands Zin blocks the effects of these potions all together (at least at ** piety and above, mostly, I'm not sure how it works.)

This seems much less interesting to me than allowing all potions to function normally, but incurring penance or a big chunk of piety loss.

"Are the benefits worth incurring God wrath" is an interesting potential decision - having potions fail to work is a big let-down.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th October 2016, 20:28

Re: Zin no longer blocks Lignification/BenMut Potions

well, it's not actually an interesting decision because the only time you'd want to use lignification with zin is when you don't have access to sanctuary, and in that case you can just abandon zin and quaff lig to avoid penance

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 17th October 2016, 20:42

CanOfWorms wrote:well, it's not actually an interesting decision because the only time you'd want to use lignification with zin is when you don't have access to sanctuary, and in that case you can just abandon zin and quaff lig to avoid penance

For the 1% of players that would affect, can't they just do that anyway? I mean, Zin doesn't actually do anything bad to you unless you switch to an evil God.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 01:34

"are the benefits worth incurring god wrath" is not terribly interesting when you can reap the benefits without incurring god wrath (i'm interpreting god wrath as an actual punishment instead of piety loss/penance)

i mean if you were arguing for both of those items to just excommunicate the player then that's probably fine

edit: both of these are side effects of zin protecting you from harmful polymorph/mutations

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 22:20

Yeah, excomunication would probably work better than penance, since Zin's wrath doesn't actually do anything.

But having just played 22 games as an ogre wanderer of Zin (until I won!) I really don't like the "block mutation" property at all. It means that Zin's final ****** is much less useful for characters who have been following Zin all game than it would be for any other character! I think I got one malmutation, total, in my 22 games.

I like block polymorph/mutation thematically, but would rather see it as an aspect of vitalization.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 22:45

Reptisaurus wrote:It means that Zin's final ****** is much less useful for characters who have been following Zin all game than it would be for any other character!

It makes sense from flavor point of view IMHO. Monk's life is not easy.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Game Design Discussion