Suggestion: Add hit damage values to message line

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

How

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:00

Suggestion: Add hit damage values to message line

Hey I'm relatively new to dcss first playing in May of this year *nods*. However, I will add that I was born in the 70's, so (like the other "old timers" on here :)), I've been one of the fortunate ones to be able to witness and participate in every era of electronic gaming since its infancy. Having said that, I have a few suggestions for the game, but would like to start with the simplest and easiest suggestion to make. So much so, it's had to have been suggested before; or, was included, then taken out.

The suggestion of course is in the thread title: Let's add the hit damage values per hit to the message line!!! It can even be set off in its own cool, unique color!

Let me list the pros and sell it real quick:

1) Clears up all the confusion in one swoop. I have already seen people sound confused as to how to figure what weapon to go for as to what damage they'll be able to do with it. I myself have found it more than a little frustrating and it reminds me of my beloved old Ultimas of only being able to see vague messages like lightly wounded, heavily wounded etc. to indicate the damage one is doing with a weapon they're wielding. Who else goes to lair and compare/contrasts two weapons on a group of poor plants? lol Getting a steady damage count for every hit would cure all of this without taking a single thing away. I'm talking really being able to fine-tune one's understanding and mastery of their weapons vs the confused, half-assed path.

2) With a steady and sure damage count for hits, players would be encouraged to pick up weapons they'd normally ignore because it will just be another item they won't be totally sure about and remind them of how confused they'll be, since they'd be able to whack a few monsters with it as in "let's see what kind of damage I can do with this" and actually be able to see without any of the confusion mentioned in point 1. Similarly, it would encourage exploring new weapon branches in and of itself that have been previously avoided due to confusion as well.

3) Which brings us to one of the most important points about game design: player reward. There's many games that implement the damage count per hit formula and do so with complete success every time. When I pick up a weapon and I see something like +16 when I hit an enemy I'm like, "mmkay, mmkay". Then, later on when I find something and bash the shit out of it for +58 or +96 I belt out a "Oooooooooo" at the computer monitor lmao. True story! I mean even the grandaddy of adventure gaming, pen and paper D&D, lets you know the dice count of a player's hits. The point is that it STRENGTHENS THE PLAYER'S CONNECTION TO THEIR COMBAT ACTIONS HIT-TO-HIT. I want you to think about this aspect in particular.

4) Implementation of this is completely simple and clutter-free to the message line: just add a + sign to the value offset in its own unique color appending it at the end of all the messages like "you slice so and so like a ham" etc.

So, these are the main pros I can think of offhand and really can't think of any cons. As I said earlier, it's hard to imagine this is the first time this has been suggested, so if somehow there's been some kind of long standing debate with this and it's some kind of sticky issue, then ignore this OP. Otherwise, for a game that touts a hassle-free, streamlined design philosophy, I would think this suggestion should be implemented ASAP and given a playtest.

BTW searched the forum and wiki and couldn't find discussion on this topic.
Cheers
Last edited by How on Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author How has received thanks: 8
chequers, Cimanyd, duvessa, Elitist, Moose, Sprucery, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:03

Re: Suggestion: Add hit damage values to message line

You can already add a damage tracking script to your RC file. I don't have one but I am pretty sure lasty wrote one.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:09

Midn8 wrote:You can already add a damage tracking script to your RC file. I don't have one but I am pretty sure lasty wrote one.

It works only for damage dealt to player and only if you are attacked exactly once between taking actions because it prints just difference between your HP during last and current turn.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

How

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:14

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Midn8 wrote:You can already add a damage tracking script to your RC file. I don't have one but I am pretty sure lasty wrote one.

It works only for damage dealt to player and only if you are attacked exactly once between taking actions because it prints just difference between your HP during last and current turn.

Yeah I'm talking about hit damage values for every hit you connect. Also, I'm talking about a default feature, or at least a configurable option, not a script hack. Can't find anything on it

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:18

Welcome to the Tavern, OP.

For points 1&2, pressing 'i' then the weapon letter tells you the weapon base damage. Unfortunately the connection between base damage and actual damage is not obvious, but generally higher base damage deals more actual damage. The other number you want is the base delay, which tells you how fast you can attack with the weapon.

For 3, you might not realize, but the number of exclamation points (!!!) gives you the feedback you desired. According to learndb
If you hit something and the message ends with !, that means you did 7-17 damage. !!: 18-35. !!!: 36-71. !!!!: 72-143. !!!!!: 144-287. !!!!!!: 288+; and so on. Yikes!

As for the cons of your proposal, something something contextless numbers. I'm sure someone else can make a better argument of that than I can.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:18

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15578

I thanked OP but unfortunately devs won't implement it.

Edited after archaeo edit: The thread I linked to has 25 thanks and still it changed nothing.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 21:39, edited 3 times in total.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Cimanyd

How

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:27

DracheReborn wrote:Welcome to the Tavern, OP.

For points 1&2, pressing 'i' then the weapon letter tells you the weapon base damage. Unfortunately the connection between base damage and actual damage is not obvious, but generally higher base damage deals more actual damage. The other number you want is the base delay, which tells you how fast you can attack with the weapon.

For 3, you might not realize, but the number of exclamation points (!!!) gives you the feedback you desired. According to learndb
If you hit something and the message ends with !, that means you did 7-17 damage. !!: 18-35. !!!: 36-71. !!!!: 72-143. !!!!!: 144-287. !!!!!!: 288+; and so on. Yikes!

As for the cons of your proposal, something something contextless numbers. I'm sure someone else can make a better argument of that than I can.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hmmm, those exclams range in pretty large intervals. I was thinking of something specific. Also, damage values are about as far from contextless in a combat engagement as I can think of :)
Last edited by How on Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 20:34

What's the latest version available with sandman's damage patch anyway? Do you still maintain that?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 20:41

dowan wrote:What's the latest version available with sandman's damage patch anyway? Do you still maintain that?

No, and I wasn't going to support it, sorry.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 20:52

I don't blame you, just figured I'd ask. It sounds like ! or !! hours of work for no gain.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, duvessa, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 23:02

DracheReborn wrote:For 3, you might not realize, but the number of exclamation points (!!!) gives you the feedback you desired. According to learndb

If the numbers are "contextless", what are the exclamation marks? Bigger number is better, more exclamation marks is better. The context is the same. Or is the player not supposed to know that monsters have hit points and a better weapon is the one that takes more of them away?

There really is no good argument imo. For some reason, devs don't want to show damage numbers, that's it. The only actual argument I can think of is that a group of exclamation marks is visually less distracting than a number, but that's not a good enough argument.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 4
Cimanyd, duvessa, Floodkiller, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 00:51

By the way, average monster hit points are displayed in trunk so those damage numbers are not contextless, while exclamation marks are...

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, dowan

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 14:32

Sooner or later there will be damage numbers in crawl. There's no reason not to have them, it's as simple as can be to add them, and the system in place is practically a self parody. It might be years until it happens, but just like itemdest removal, weight removal, and victory dancing removal, it's inevitable because it's obviously better.

Return to Game Design Discussion