Trolls, food, and gods - Undesirable interactions?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 27th October 2016, 20:39

Trolls, food, and gods - Undesirable interactions?

Trolls are a fun race in crawl, and are pretty differentiated from the other races. One differentiation is their food habits.

Normally, a troll has a much faster rate of getting hungry, but also has intrinsic gourmand. They also used to have sapravore, back when it was relevant.

In normal 3 rune play, this pretty much balances out. You need to eat more, but you can eat to engorged when you do get some chunks. So in normal 3 rune play a troll might eat a little more permafood than most, but not much more.

However, this is all dependent on being able to get and eat chunks.

Gozag is the biggest issue for trolls. He takes away their chunks, suddenly the mechanism that balanced their fast hunger is completely irrelevant. This basically serves to make trolls of gozag a huge pain in the ass.

Zin is a smaller issue, but not being able to eat intelligent corpses certainly causes some annoyance, and a bit more permafood consumption. Still, I don't think this has a serious impact beyond some annoyance, much like any other species with zin.
TSO is barely worth mentioning, but he does prevent eating other trolls.

The question is, is it intentional for Gozag to be extra annoying for trolls? Does troll food conduct actually bring anything to the table? (awesome pun) To a lesser extent, is it interesting for trolls to have a slightly more annoying experience with zin?

I suppose my first suggestion (shut up, this isn't a remove food thread) would be to just outright drop the extra hunger and gourmand. We've been steadily dropping food related stuff from races (ogres used to have fast hunger and saprivore, centaurs had fast hunger, orcs had saprivore, etc...)
My second suggestion if it's not desirable to remove the troll food conducts (maybe for flavor reasons? PUN!) would be to suppress them under gozag.

Is there something I'm missing here? Some reason why it's desirable for trolls to have such a negative interaction with gozag?

Gozag is very interesting in that he's the one way that food is actually kinda relevant to the game right now. It's a shame trolls can't really participate in that.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 00:19

Re: Trolls, food, and gods - Undesirable interactions?

Between chunks and permafood, non-Gozag trolls have effectively unlimited food, so the increased hunger just means more key presses. So if anything I would say Gozag is the only god where troll hunger is relevant.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
dowan, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 15:19

Re: Trolls, food, and gods - Undesirable interactions?

To a point I agree. That's why my question is should it be that way. I'd go further than relevant, I'd say it's outright crippling. And that's why I first ask is this intentional or desirable? Does troll hunger matter in non-gozag games in an interesting way? Is it worth that mechanic just to effectively make 1 god extra bad for them?

Return to Game Design Discussion