Is it odd that Inacc affects magic but +Slay doesn't?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 03:54

Is it odd that Inacc affects magic but +Slay doesn't?

It feels kinda weird to me.

For this message the author milski has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 18:17

Re: Is it odd that Inacc affects magic but +Slay doesn't?

The logic is that spells get spell power and melee gets slay. Inacc effects both, but mostly in the early game, because they need at least 1 bad amulet in the early game.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 18:46

Inacc doesn't affect spellpower. It only affects spell accuracy.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 18:58

I wish spell accuracy was documented in game...
Weapons... at least kind of give something you can compare between them, although I assume the accuracy modifier for each weapon shown to the player is a tiny insignificant portion of the true accuracy number.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
milski

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 19:01

Spell power enchancers are a bit similar to rings of slaying IMHO. We don't want ring of fire to increase damage from weapon of flaming, do we?
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 19:06

We have archmage ego for spells.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 19:08

This is what I meant, yes. Having 150% spell power is as powerful as +5 ring of slaying, probably even more depending on spell and weapon.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 21:44

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Spell power enchancers are a bit similar to rings of slaying IMHO. We don't want ring of fire to increase damage from weapon of flaming, do we?
Well, it is true that rings of slaying apply to ALL melee weapons(and ranged weapons), while rings(+enhancer staves) only apply to spells of a certain type... it would be weird if there was "Ring of Axes" which is +6 slaying but only if you're using axes, wouldn't it?

Could have Archmage rings instead of rings of Fire/Ice, that way they don't overlap with resist rings and apply to all spell schools instead of only just a couple for dubious reasons.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 21:54

Shard1697 wrote:Well, it is true that rings of slaying apply to ALL melee weapons(and ranged weapons), while rings(+enhancer staves) only apply to spells of a certain type... it would be weird if there was "Ring of Axes" which is +6 slaying but only if you're using axes, wouldn't it?

I would love to see it in the game. "Should I switch" is an interesting choice imho.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 22:53

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Shard1697 wrote:Well, it is true that rings of slaying apply to ALL melee weapons(and ranged weapons), while rings(+enhancer staves) only apply to spells of a certain type... it would be weird if there was "Ring of Axes" which is +6 slaying but only if you're using axes, wouldn't it?

I would love to see it in the game. "Should I switch" is an interesting choice imho.

There used to be artifact gloves that only gave bonus slaying for short and long blades, it wasn't interesting.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 23:00

I like the archmage ring idea. Rings of fire/ice are basically the same as protection from fire/cold, since minus resist doesn't matter.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 23:21

Siegurt wrote:There used to be artifact gloves that only gave bonus slaying for short and long blades, it wasn't interesting.
This is a distorted memory. Initially, Fencer's Gloves gave a slaying bonus to everything, not just blades. Then the slaying was removed and they increased your long blades and short blades skills by 4 instead. Then that was removed and now they give riposte.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
sooheon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 23:38

Siegurt wrote:There used to be artifact gloves that only gave bonus slaying for short and long blades, it wasn't interesting.

because they were extremely rare in early dungeon when you can easily switch and also +4 short blades is much weaker bonus than +6 slaying which is always relevant unlike saving skill levels in short blades for quickblade. it's basically better than +12 axe and it stacks with +9 axe.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 00:37

duvessa wrote:
This is a distorted memory. Initially, Fencer's Gloves gave a slaying bonus to everything, not just blades. Then the slaying was removed and they increased your long blades and short blades skills by 4 instead. Then that was removed and now they give riposte.

Ah, yes, that's right, wait, didn't the slaying version only give melee slaying and not ranged slaying, or am I confusing that with another not-very-interesting artifact?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 00:41

Of course, we do still have gloves of archery. I'm hoping they will be more interesting after the long-promised ranged reform.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 01:47

Siegurt wrote:
duvessa wrote:

Ah, yes, that's right, wait, didn't the slaying version only give melee slaying and not ranged slaying, or am I confusing that with another not-very-interesting artifact?
to my knowledge, nothing has ever given melee slaying but not ranged slaying

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 07:04

Didn't !might use to?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 07:06

Might doesn't really give slaying but bonus damage. No, I don't remember the exact difference either. Doesn't work for ranged.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 19:23

Might never gave slaying, yeah.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 20:40

I think it's less obvious that +slay beneifts ranged, I didn't know that for awhile.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 20:43

I mean most people didn't notice double damage bug, I think if slaying did or didn't work one something it would take a lot of time to notice and report it. Hell, I used to quaff might after ranged reform before somebody here told me it's pointless, because I mistakenly believed that "ranged damage is now calculated like melee damage" meant that ranged damage was now calculated like melee damage.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
duvessa, nago, Shard1697, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th October 2016, 00:07

Sar wrote:I mean most people didn't notice double damage bug, I think if slaying did or didn't work one something it would take a lot of time to notice and report it.
Slaying didn't work on magic staves for many versions. I had +47 slaying with a magic staff and didn't notice it wasn't doing anything.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Return to Game Design Discussion