Make Basajaun a stealthy race.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 11:44

Make Basajaun a stealthy race.

Hey, I have been trying basajaun this week, although i have not won yet i have beaten lair with a basajaun; and to me, maybe since i picked (arguably the best) book start, it feels very similar to any other flat apt race, like playing a huie, or a drie, etc... I have heard from other players who pick non book starts that is like a worse ogre.

When I was deciding what role to pick, I almost picked BaEn; it sounded like a fun char to try, and with the +1 hex apt and high(ish) int it seemed like a natural fit...except, Ba being large gets a stealth malus; and a -1 apt to stealth. So i decided to pick my fallback role, IE

I know from experience that the --en start is good even without any boosts to stealth; but some players i have talked too seem to think --en is the domain of spriggan and vampire only. Maybe eschewing the stealth malus for large races, and/or buffing the stealth apt, might encourage some players to try BaEn. It seemed like the hex apts were at odds with the stealth malus and apt anyways.

Since it seems so similar to the other worse troll, it might be worth experiemting with some different niches for this race. Too me, a stealthy large race is something i have never heard of, or thought of before. It could be fun!

Like I said, I havent played past lair with this race yet. Having 120+ hp in lair at the exchange of ev/lower shield penalty is somewhat unique, but as far as gameplay goes it hasnt changed anything for me when it comes to beating lair threats like black mamba, dream sheep and hydra. The most interesting part of the character so far, was finding confuse spell early and taking advantage of +1 hex apt! The fact i can wield giant club or throw large rock has had 0 impact to me. Maybe it will be more unique than other races through lair branches and beyond, but i am doubtful.

Some other interesting races filling unique niches have tangible effects even in the early game (like Vs, or Fo) so maybe some intrinsic differences(similar to the Op stealth boost, and/or a buff to Ba stealth apt) for Ba can separate it further from Og, or any other flat magic apt race.

Although the race feels pretty strong to me, i dont think buffing its stealth capability would make it too powerful. If that is the case it could be easy to balance by lowering HP apt to +1.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 23:58

Re: Make Basajaun a stealthy race.

Updated in this commit after some discussion with a SpEn sage, thanks!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 01:31

whoa, training stealth is now at least 300% more effective for Basajaun!

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 18:40

Just brainstorming, probably a crappy idea: to make them even more distinct: an aura that grows with level and has the effect of silence, minus inability to cast (theme it as dampening sound as the giant hairy magical beast draws near)? It would make for a race that couldn't stab effectively, but could creep up and blast loud spells without necessarily waking up the level.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 18:59

increased "ambient noise" could do that

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 12:39

Silence actually reduces your stealth. Although it is better if you're spamming loud rods or such.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 13:46

jwoodward48ss wrote:Silence actually reduces your stealth. Although it is better if you're spamming loud rods or such.

That was exactly my idea - that it might be interesting to have a race that was innately not stealthy but able to dampen spell / fighting noise.

Actually it was based on the idea that silence set stealth to 0 - did that used to be a thing? It looks like it doesn't any more, if it ever did, but rather just hits you with a penalty.

It might still be fun though and go with the theme of a magical giant race - they're good at moving quietly to overcome their natural magical dampening effect. So they'd make decent stabbers if you want to invest in stealth and can sneak up enough to get in range for blasty spells without ruining stealth for half the remaining level.

Increasing ambient noise might have much the same effect if it's easier to implement than silence without -cast.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 15:34

minstrel wrote:Actually it was based on the idea that silence set stealth to 0 - did that used to be a thing? It looks like it doesn't any more, if it ever did, but rather just hits you with a penalty.
It was the lantern of shadows that set stealth to 0 (and, well, berserk, but that one's hard to mistake for silence).

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 20:12

How often does the branch update? I just started the BaEn of your existence and he had a -1 stealth apt...

For this message the author araganzar has received thanks:
Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 21:28

Oh, thought it would update automatically. I've merged master (to make sure araganzar can't get the haste spell) and rebuilt, so stealthy, hairy men and women should be ready to go, thanks!

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks:
Sar

Return to Game Design Discussion