Remove hunger requirement for induced berserk

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 01:30

Remove hunger requirement for induced berserk

Ok, I have just died on Zot 5 during orb run and I am going to blame a monster as usual ;)
I got berserked by moth of wrath. I easily might avoid this death if I stayed at hungry level or below via eating fruits as necessary (1 turn is meaningless out of fight even during orb run) but it is not fun for me (and I hope for most players too) to micromanage, reading spoilers about how much calories every food gives and that's the difference in satiation points between very hungry and satiated etc. Similarly it is weird that we can functionally disable berserkitis mutation and *Rage weapon this way.
So I suggest to make induced berserk not to care about hunger level, triggering it even while starving is not a big deal since you cannot control when it happens and you will be slowed when it ends. Intentional berserk still should require being at least satiated as before of course.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 7
and into, Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, Floodkiller, Shard1697, Sprucery, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 03:07

Re: Remove hunger requirement for induced berserk

After that, remove the hunger cost from normal berserk too, and then from everything else, and then remove food.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Floodkiller, qwesdf, Shard1697, vergil

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 03:22

You need to be at Very Hungry or below. And it's the smart way to play if a zerk will ruin your game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 04:55

I know it is smart play. Not using autoexplore is smart too, luring every goblin 8 tiles away is smart too etc. Yet it can be unfun, time-consuming etc.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, DracheReborn, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 06:28

A cleaner way to accomplish this would be to remove the hunger cost from berserk itself, and add it to +Rage and the Trog invocation. It's not needed for potions of berserk rage, since those are limited.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 11
and into, Arrhythmia, chequers, Floodkiller, nago, qwesdf, Seven Deadly Sins, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve and one more user

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th September 2016, 03:03

I have just finished a game where I was using sword of jihad (it has *rage), anitmagic and vampiric weapons along with berserkitis 1 and teleportitis 1 mutations, but this time I paid attention: ate a ration to switch to vampiric weapon, then berserked 5 times in a row (I was with Trog) without monsters in view to get hungry, then carefully eating small food to stay below satiated when near starving in the fights. Nothing interesting/challenging and it made both sources of berserkitis irrelevant. Teleportitis should not land PC in view of orb IMHO, I just used a scroll of blinking to land on the orb, picked it up, read tele scroll, read another scroll of blinking (I was surrounded at this point) and finally activated haste and ran away.

Return to Game Design Discussion