Autoexplore, exclusions, and transparent walls

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 17:56

Autoexplore, exclusions, and transparent walls

So I saw Psyche, but didn't wake her up. Set an exclusion, backed away, with Psyche still asleep. Autoexplore brought me close to the explored area again from a different angle, and automatically removed the exclusions because it thought the area was safe, as a wall separated the exclusion mark. However, this wall was transparent; autoexplore brought me back into view of Psyche (through the transparent wall) and she woke up and came after me me.

I took some screenshots, which should help to clarify the issue:

In the above image, the thicker red X marks where Psyche had been asleep, and where I placed the exclusion (directly on her). Autoexplore brought me back around to the corner, which it thought was safe and automatically un-excluded. And it would have been safe, except that the wall was see-through, and Psyche (plus an Ogre) saw me.

As I tried to retreat, I ended up in this situation:

Now, I had a teleport scroll so I got out of this safely, no big deal, but I assume this is buggy behavior. And I imagine there are other cases where something like this happens.

I'm not too familiar with how autoexplore and exclusions work under-the-hood, so I'm not sure if this is a simple bug to report (via Mantis) or if this is a known issue that is difficult to fix. I imagine there are other similar cases that result from poor interaction between autoexplore and exclusions, so I'm posting here to raise the issue and generate some discussion.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Shard1697

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 20:38

Re: Autoexplore, exclusions, and transparent walls

Shit happens bro. Sometimes ya just gotta deal.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 21:07

Autoexplore should not be a trap.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 21:15

I think it's a bug. Would you file a report (you can link to this thread, no need to upload the pictures once more).

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
and into

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 22:18

lethediver wrote:Shit happens bro. Sometimes ya just gotta deal.

As I said, wasn't a big deal, but if we have exclusions and autoexplore in the game, they should work. Didn't know if this was a known but persistent issue, or a new(ish) bug.

dpeg wrote:I think it's a bug. Would you file a report (you can link to this thread, no need to upload the pictures once more).

Will do.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 22:26

I don't understand the issue; where in the images are there not exclusions that you think should be? Everywhere you could be seen from the exclusion appears to have an X on it.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 23:03

Hurkyl wrote:I don't understand the issue; where in the images are there not exclusions that you think should be? Everywhere you could be seen from the exclusion appears to have an X on it.

I am pretty sure autoexplore brought me back into LOS of where Psyche was sleeping, who then woke up. I will try to replicate offline, apologies in advance if something else happened.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 23:39

If I had to guess based on your description and the screenshots:

• When you initially spotted a sleeping Psyche, she woke up when you stepped out of view
  • Autoexplore went as far down that middle path as it was allowed, which includes that tile next to the glass
  • When you reached that tile, you spotted the wandering Psyche (but she didn't spot you), and the ogre spots you and shouts
  • Psyche is attracted to the Ogre's shout and gets on your trail

(alternatively, psyche was still asleep and was woken up by the Ogre's shout, and got two moves before you got to react)

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks: 3
and into, Seven Deadly Sins, ydeve

Return to Game Design Discussion