Should Talons 3 be able to butcher?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 18:42

Should Talons 3 be able to butcher?

Currently it doesn't. Just looking for feedback to know if I should post it to Mantis or the wiki or not.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 20:02

Re: Should Talons 3 be able to butcher?

Why? It's not really needed since everybody has a knife. Kenku can butcher with beak and talon but that's just for the bird flavour.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 20:12

The Kenku butchery check just looks to see if you have both talons and a beak, I think, so if other races mutated both they could butcher with them too.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 20:57

Demonspawn with talons 3 can't butcher. I found out when I figured they could, and went ahead and cursed my mace, assuming I could still get chunks . . .
TSE

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 21:13

dolphin wrote:Demonspawn with talons 3 can't butcher. I found out when I figured they could, and went ahead and cursed my mace, assuming I could still get chunks . . .

Separate issue; you can't butcher with a cursed weapon, because you can't free up your hands, whether that's to use a knife or talons. Animate Skeleton is a good option in that situation, as is Ice Form.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 21:24

Talons are on your feet though. Shouldn't be a problem, unless you are an octopode, and then things just get complicated.
TSE

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 21:27

dolphin wrote:Talons are on your feet though. Shouldn't be a problem, unless you are an octopode, and then things just get complicated.

I wouldn't trust a slice of blowfish from someone who cut it using only their toenails.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 21:39

dolphin wrote:Talons are on your feet though. Shouldn't be a problem, unless you are an octopode, and then things just get complicated.

True (although the idea of an Octopode with talons is terrifying!) - but I think talons alone shouldn't be enough if you think about it, you also need some leverage, hence the Kenku requirement of a beak also.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 03:34

XuaXua wrote:
I wouldn't trust a slice of blowfish from someone who cut it using only their toenails.

Would you trust it from someone butchering a corpse with their Fangs 3 mutation? :P
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 16:06

You can scissor most things open by spearing them and cutting them with an edge.

Return to Game Design Discussion