Prevent Zot Traps from Spawning on top of Pan Runes

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 05:01

Prevent Zot Traps from Spawning on top of Pan Runes

Nevermind, you'd just appear on top of the rune when you escaped the Abyss. Ignore this post.

I just saw this Reddit post where someone found the Glowing rune on top of a Zot trap.

Initially, this seems like a typical "that sucks, but it's not too bad, anyone who can get to a Pan rune can handle a Zot trap" sort of scenario, except there's an issue: Zot traps can cause banishment. Getting banished from a rune floor in Pan means never being able to get that rune. So in this scenario, there is a very small random chance that this character will never be able to get the Glowing rune, and the only thing they could possibly have done to prevent it would have been to learn Apportation before entering Pan.

Sure, the set of events required for this scenario to happen is extremely unlikely (don't learn apportation before entering Pan, Zot trap blocks access to a non-demonic Pan rune, and the Zot trap happens to trigger banishment when you step on it), but the possibility of it happening still seems extremely unfair. And I don't think anything of value is lost if this scenario were made impossible.
Last edited by Quazifuji on Sunday, 18th September 2016, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 05:05

Re: Prevent Zot Traps from Spawning on top of Pan Runes

If it is the case, then probably it is better to change banishment to return player to rune floor when escaping Abyss. Some monsters on the rune floor can have distortion weapon.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 05:14

VeryAngryFelid wrote:If it is the case, then probably it is better to change banishment to return player to rune floor when escaping Abyss. Some monsters on the rune floor can have distortion weapon.

Luckily this is already the case and has been for years.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Sar, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 07:17

ontoclasm wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:If it is the case, then probably it is better to change banishment to return player to rune floor when escaping Abyss. Some monsters on the rune floor can have distortion weapon.

Luckily this is already the case and has been for years.

Your correct My bad. This post can be safely ignored then.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 17:39

Can you still screw yourself out of a rune by sacrificing artifice with Ru? If so that should probably be changed, too. (Just change how Slime works when you kill TRJ so wall removal isn't needed.)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 17:54

you have to sacrifice both artifice and earth magic, and even then people have managed to get in using deep troll earth mages and/or jorgrun

it's a pretty goofy case but it's hard to reach

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 18:07

Can we remove this Nethack-like interaction please? It doesn't introduce any meaningful decisions. You *don't* lose access to the rune when saccing both Earth Magic and artifice, you just get to do something really tedious instead.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 2
and into, nago

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 18:16

yeah probably

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
and into

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 19:28

Have the walls change into lava when TRJ dies. It makes the stuff inside visible, it keeps the jellies away, it can be solved in a plethora of ways (boots of flying, wings, blink (spell and scroll), cblink, golubria (?), levitation, other ways that surely exist but I can't think of right now) and is Ru proof (just leap in there).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 19:30

There's also the theoretically possible (even if it's ridiculously rare) case where you have not found a single source of wall destruction by the time you clear slime and your only choice is to scum Pan and Abyss until you do.

Overall, I really see no reason that getting the Slimy rune should require wall destruction, especially now that slimes no longer eat items you've seen so you don't have to worry about them stealing the loot before you get it.

Same for Coc 7 requiring flying, if that's still a thing

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 5
and into, Arrhythmia, nago, Seven Deadly Sins, Shard1697

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 20:31

Quazifuji wrote:There's also the theoretically possible (even if it's ridiculously rare) case where you have not found a single source of wall destruction by the time you clear slime and your only choice is to scum Pan and Abyss until you do.

Overall, I really see no reason that getting the Slimy rune should require wall destruction, especially now that slimes no longer eat items you've seen so you don't have to worry about them stealing the loot before you get it.

Same for Coc 7 requiring flying, if that's still a thing

It still is for some maps, which is pretty awful. There is an island chain map in Coc 7 that has islands with no hatches, so if you somehow run out of teleportation and flying, you can have a forced starvation situation there.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 21:23

PleasingFungus wrote:yeah probably

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/9239046d4c2a

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 8
and into, Arrhythmia, chequers, duvessa, nago, qwesdf, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 21:32

Slime 6 FR: no walls, scatter the items all around the level instead of just the middle. Give Royal Jelly the special ability to pick up all runes and items he passes over, but he doesn't use them, and killing him makes them all drop unharmed.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 19th September 2016, 23:51

MarvinPA wrote:
PleasingFungus wrote:yeah probably

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/9239046d4c2a

Yessssss thank you

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 15:44

Rast wrote:Slime 6 FR: no walls, scatter the items all around the level instead of just the middle. Give Royal Jelly the special ability to pick up all runes and items he passes over, but he doesn't use them, and killing him makes them all drop unharmed.

I think this is a bad idea, it means that you are forced to kill TRJ to get the rune if she passes over it. I would exclude the rune from this.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 22:35

Shtopit wrote:I think this is a bad idea, it means that you are forced to kill TRJ to get the rune

This is already the case for characters that can't cast Shatter (Shatter can take apart the unsoftened walls, right?). In fact, quite the opposite - Rast's proposal would sometimes allow people to get the rune without killing TRJ, as opposed to the current situation.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

For this message the author Malevolent has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 00:58

Issue: banishment. Not always done on purpose; using Banish would be stupid, using that executioner's axe of distortion Asshole Trog gave you isn't.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Game Design Discussion