Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction


Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4426

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 12:35

Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

Is it possible to combine poison damage calculation with regeneration calculation?
Currently it is bad to cast Regeneration when you are poisoned at high HP because you get this:
  Code:
You start resting. You feel sick. x9
HP restored. You feel sick.
You start resting. HP restored.
You start resting. You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start resting. You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start resting. You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start resting. You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start resting.
Your skin is crawling a little less now.
You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start resting.
You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start resting.
Your skin stops crawling.
You start resting. You feel sick.
Magic restored.
Damage: -0%(-1hp)   hp: 100%(150hp)
You start resting.
HP restored.
You start waiting. You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start waiting.
You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start waiting.
You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start waiting.
You feel sick.
HP restored.
You start waiting.
You feel sick.
You are no longer poisoned.


and have to press 5 again after every "HP restored.".

Spoiler: show
No, I cannot just continue exploring because I got the poison from a single very ugly thing and they usually come in packs.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, nago, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 3037

Joined: Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 02:06

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 13:23

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

Poison really shouldn't be lasting out of battle at all. It usually isn't dangerous, and if it is fatal poison then it is a very tedious way to make the player die. More typically, the player just does the tedious task of manually resting to save a single consumable that is unlikely to ever matter.

Perhaps poison could do more damage but wear off quicker? If it did 25% damage to the player, you could get a little extra delay in the beginning where you can either quaff or not quaff curing, and then you get the little mini-torment. After it causes damage, it has a higher chance to wear off than current poison. If the damage is high enough, you may actually ever choose to quaff curing in battle, and either way the poison get resolves without the current tedium.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago
User avatar

Blades Runner

Posts: 546

Joined: Friday, 2nd October 2015, 14:42

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 13:58

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

Poison should not produce damage over time. It should just be flat extra damage with effects like slow and paralysis. Damage over time is very, very bad.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
duvessa

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 467

Joined: Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 23:37

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 14:34

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

goodcoolguy wrote:Poison should not produce damage over time. It should just be flat extra damage with effects like slow and paralysis. Damage over time is very, very bad.

Why?

For this message the author arandomperson12 has received thanks:
Cimanyd
User avatar

Blades Runner

Posts: 546

Joined: Friday, 2nd October 2015, 14:42

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 14:50

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

Case 1: You're fatally poisoned and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

"Well, gg.... I guess I'll move around and see if I find a potion or something..."

Case 2: You're fatally poisoned and you can do something about it.

...

Case 3: You're poisoned but not fatally, all the monsters are dead.

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 55 5 5 55 5 5 5 5555

Case 4: You're poisoned, there are monsters around, it's not going to kill you.

See Case 2.

Case 5: You're a monster and you've been poisoned by the player.

"Why does this bastard keep moving away?"
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 467

Joined: Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 23:37

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 14:54

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

goodcoolguy wrote:Case 1: You're fatally poisoned and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

"Well, gg.... I guess I'll move around and see if I find a potion or something..."

Case 2: You're fatally poisoned and you can do something about it.

...

Case 3: You're poisoned but not fatally, all the monsters are dead.

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 55 5 5 55 5 5 5 5555

Case 4: You're poisoned, there are monsters around, it's not going to kill you.

See Case 2.

Case 5: You're a monster and you've been poisoned by the player.

"Why does this bastard keep moving away?"

Why is this bad?

For this message the author arandomperson12 has received thanks:
Sar
User avatar

Blades Runner

Posts: 546

Joined: Friday, 2nd October 2015, 14:42

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 14:57

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

In two cases it does essentially nothing. In two cases it leads to repetitive boredom. In the remaining case it is the same as flat damage (arguably two cases here actually, but with repetitive boredom as well).
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
duvessa
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1758

Joined: Monday, 14th October 2013, 01:05

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 15:20

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

arandomperson12 wrote:
goodcoolguy wrote:Case 1: You're fatally poisoned and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

"Well, gg.... I guess I'll move around and see if I find a potion or something..."

Case 2: You're fatally poisoned and you can do something about it.

...

Case 3: You're poisoned but not fatally, all the monsters are dead.

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 55 5 5 55 5 5 5 5555

Case 4: You're poisoned, there are monsters around, it's not going to kill you.

See Case 2.

Case 5: You're a monster and you've been poisoned by the player.

"Why does this bastard keep moving away?"

Why is this bad?
It's really annoying to have to keep mashing 5 until it wears off?

Slime Squisher

Posts: 395

Joined: Monday, 28th April 2014, 19:50

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 20:10

Re: Fix Poison/Regeneration interaction

goodcoolguy wrote:Case 3: You're poisoned but not fatally, all the monsters are dead.

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 55 5 5 55 5 5 5 5555


It's only been a single 5 for like 3 versions or something.

The issue this thread is about is that regeneration screws with that, which could be pretty easily fixed by checking for remaining poison before "HP restored. You stop resting."

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, Sar, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Return to Game Design Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.